Wednesday, August 5, 2015

Prudent Prepping: Weekend Round Up

The dust has settled and the First 72 Hours have passed. Now we concentrate  on what to do in, and how to plan for, the long term via Prudent Prepping. 

REI-cap
Last week I mentioned I would be going to a Clearance Sale at the local REI. This is my report.

The notice of this round of Clearance Sales was much more low key and not as well publicized as before. Regardless, people still arrived early to buy quality items for a discounted price. And I do mean early, like the fellow who arrived at 5 a.m. and was first in line. The best I was able to do for getting in early was #20, which put me in the second group of 15 to be allowed into the Member Room to get access to the best bargains. 

But even with only 20 people before me, things were picked over by the time I got into the room. I was looking for a second sleeping bag and a 2-3 person tent (my Holy Grail). I managed to see several tents, but only as they were leaving the store in the arms of Mr. 5 a.m. -- along with several sleeping bags! I have no problem with that (well, maybe a little bit of a problem) but he did get there first. I do like the idea of having sales in the local store, instead of sending returns to a distant distribution center or an outlet store in some strip mall far away... I just wish I could score some deals!

Group Buy
I also want to bring up the WAPI group buy I mentioned in last week's blog post. Consider adding several to your gear as a way to purify water and conserve fuel at the same time... they're light, inexpensive, and foolproof.             

Recent Purchases
I needed to replace some band aids in my EDC mini 1st aid kit and while I was in CVS I saw this: WoundSeal for Cuts and Lacerations. From their website:

"Topical Powder that Stops Bleeding Instantly, even if you bleed easily. It seals and protects the wound. It comes with a handy Go-Pack so you can take it with you wherever you go!"

I do not have a full-on Trauma kit or even a small portion of one, but I a'm building my kits up bit by bit. Erin covers her various kits here (several links in this article) and Lokidude does the same with this and this being good samples. Everyone here has written about First Aid at one point, so look for those posts too.

I purchased the 4 pack which just fits into the box I have in my bag. Wound Seal is something I'm going to buy and add to all my kits, with the larger sizes being purchased to make things more economical and easy to divide between all my bags.

The Takeaway
  • In the case of REI, the early bird gets the bargains.
  • Always look for additions to first aid supplies. Items can be found everywhere.
  • Use the resources at hand; your friends may have all the information you need!

Purchased This Week: 

As always, if you have comments, suggestions or corrections, please post them so we all can learn. And remember, Some Is Always Better Than None!

NOTE: All items tested were purchased by me. No products have been loaned in exchange for a favorable review. Any items sent to me for T&E will be listed as such. Suck it Feds.
                                                                                                                    

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Fine Print


This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution- Noncommercial- No Derivative Works 3.0 License.

Creative Commons License


Erin Palette is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.