Saturday, October 8, 2016

Hurricane Matthew: the Aftermath

Not actually Erin.
& is used with permission.
For all who have been wondering: Everyone is all right. 

My family is fine, my dogs are fine, even our house is fine. The worst that happened is the wind knocked down the old TV antenna that we haven't used since getting the satellite dish, and the antenna struck and damaged one of mom's trees. So given what could have happened, this was in fact my best-case outcome, but that is mainly due to Matthew becoming a Cat 3 by the time it reached Daytona Beach and the fact that the eye never made landfall.

Prior to talking to them, I received an automated phone call from my home county regarding the state of affairs there:
  •  Mandatory curfew in affect from 7 pm to 7 am. 
  •  Power is out county-wide and will likely remain so for several days. 
  •  Roads are obstructed but are being cleared.
  •  Residents who evacuated are instructed NOT to return until they receive a phone call saying it is safe to return. 
This is me doing my "I Told You So Dance" in the direction of my parents. They are stuck in the dark, sweaty and miserable and bored, while I am sitting in air-conditioned comfort, with power and running water and internet connection, being Diva Prepping Fabulous.

I made the right decision.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Fine Print


This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution- Noncommercial- No Derivative Works 3.0 License.

Creative Commons License


Erin Palette is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.