Thursday, October 6, 2016

Hurricane Matthew Watch, Day 3

Not actually Erin.
& is used with permission.
I am freaking out, y'all.

This is bad. This is very very bad. I'm not sure how well you can read this crappy picture, but this prediction has a Category 4 Hurricane Matthew making landfall south of where I live,with winds that could be anywhere between 58 and 135 miles per hour.

I apologize for the crappy quality.
I'm on my tablet and don't have a "Print Screen" button,
so I'm reduced to taking a cell phone picture of the screen. 

Let me put that in perspective for you:

http://goo.gl/dt2xQF

My house was built in the 1980s, before the post-Hurricane Andrew building codes which are supposed to ensure a house's survivability up to a Category 3 storm. I figure home is good against a Cat 1, maybe a Cat 2, but definitely not a Cat 3 or higher.

Matthew is supposed to make landfall as a Category 4 storm.  Look at the picture of the little house in the picture again. Notice how it has no roof. Notice the words "Catastrophic damage will occur."

I don't want my home to be catastrophically damaged! It's where I live!

I'm not afraid of dying, because (barring a miraculous change in direction and/or speed, which is looking increasingly unlikely with each update) we're going to evacuate before the storm hits. No, I'm afraid of not having a home when the storm lifts.

Anyway, barring that miracle, tomorrow morning I'm leaving Big 3 East and heading home to pack and help my family evacuate. I'm going to insist we head in the direction of Tallahassee, because that's out of the path of the storm.

Anyone in or near Tallahassee have space for 3 adults (2 of them elderly) and their 2 dogs?

Anyone?

Bueller?

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Fine Print


This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution- Noncommercial- No Derivative Works 3.0 License.

Creative Commons License


Erin Palette is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.