Wednesday, December 7, 2016

Prudent Prepping: 'Tis The Season


The dust has settled and the First 72 Hours have passed. Follow along as I build a long term plan via Prudent Prepping.

The season of giving is here, and I've got a few things to send and hand out in person to important people.

What do you get people who have lots gear or have what they need? I know several folks like this, and gifts for them are impossible to find, so for them I give Time. I help one of them with projects that require two reasonably strong adults; he has two girls who know how to use tools,but there are jobs where dexterity doesn't match muscle. For the other I dog- and house-sit so they can have weekend trips for Spartan races.

I do have gifts going out, this week and next, to several friends across the country and several of them are pretty well geared as well. Time is something I am not able to share with them, so gifts are the best I am able to do.

Gifts
I call on a large home improvement chain, and from time to time some "marketing genius" who has never opened a box, stocked a shelf or built a display comes up with a Neat Idea or New Product to put on the shelves. The latest was office supplies. Now I ask you: if you were shopping for 1/2" 4'x8' plywood, 5 gal. pails of asphalt sealer and roofing felt, would you think a three hole paper punch and dry erase markers would be available too? Me neither, but these and more were on the shelf and are now being clearanced out. Some of these possibly, sorta, maybe could find their way into boxes:

Rite In the Rain Pencil and Pad

Our 3" x 5" Top-Spiral Notebook is small enough to fit comfortably in your pocket and tough enough to survive any of Mother Nature's onslaughts. This scrappy pocket notebook will survive sweat, rain, mud, snow, oil, grease, and the wear-and-tear of daily use in your pocket. Impact-resistant Wire-O binding won't lose its shape in your back pocket, and a PolyDura cover defends your notes from scratches and stains.



Do you like pencils but fear they will break when it matters most? You're not alone. A Rite in the Rain Mechanical Pencil may well be the last pencil you'll ever need to buy. True to the Rite in the Rain brand, this pencil is tough, reliable, made in the USA, and writes no matter what.

I have a Rite in the Rain notebook and pen or pencil in my GHB and my EDC sling bag. I find the possibility of writing and leaving notes that won't be destroyed by bad weather a brilliant idea. When I brought up these items to my geocache friends I was told --  by a 10 year-old -- that everyone knows about and uses them,

Look for yellow tags at The World's Largest Home Improvement Chain; you may find a bargain or two.

Boardwalk Buy Outdoor Tactical Waterproof Hiking Pouch 
I see another rep regularly in my sales calls who likes the look of the mini 1st Aid pouch mentioned in this post. He likes the look of my pouch, doesn't carry anything extra on his belt, and mentioned wanting something slightly larger. I've known this guy for years and he bought me lunch several times this year, so he's getting a surprise: this bag I ordered from an ad on Facebook.

I know, I'm feeding the Facebook ad monster, but with a great (advertised) return policy, I thought I'd give BoardwalkBuy a chance. At the time I ordered, these bags were $13.99 with free shipping.

The bag I bought for my friend looks like the photo, has two large and sturdy looking zippers to close the compartments and uses two straps with snaps to attach the pouch to your belt. There are convenient webbing strips to use to adjust the pouch to fit your belt width.

Bottom Left.Straps tucked under webbing
The bag has enough room for my friend to duplicate the 1st Aid portion of my kit and still leave room for a notebook and other small items.

Other than an extra-long time for it to be delivered (nearly a month), I think the pouch is worth what I paid and possibly even worth the $19.99 current advertised price.

The Takeaway
  • Give what you can, when you can. Something simple like an extra hand can be the best gift for a friend
  • Ideas for friends show up in the strangest places.

The Recap
  • Rite in the Rain pencils:$11.31 with Prime shipping from Amazon
  • Rite in the Rain notebooks: $6.85 and free shipping for a 3-pack from Amazon.
  • Belt pouch ordered from BoardwalkBuy (Facebook ad): $13.99, but currently $19.99. 

Just a reminder: if you plan on buying anything through Amazon for the Holidays, please consider using our referral link. When you do, a portion of the sale comes back here to help keep this site running!

If you have comments, suggestions or corrections, please post them so we all can learn. And remember, Some Is Always Better Than None!


NOTE: All items tested were purchased by me. No products have been loaned in exchange for a favorable review. Any items sent to me for T&E will be listed as such. Suck it Feds.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Fine Print


This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution- Noncommercial- No Derivative Works 3.0 License.

Creative Commons License


Erin Palette is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.