Thursday, December 15, 2016

Prudent Prepping: Tuning Up a Friend's EDC

The dust has settled and the First 72 Hours have passed. Follow along as I build a long term plan via Prudent Prepping.

I first posted about a gift EDC bag for my friend last summer, and followed up on it several times. The same conditions still apply now: I'm dealing with an experienced backpacker from another culture with very definite ideas on what is to be carried. I have not added anything to her bag or made suggestions until now.

My friend drives over 20 miles one way to work and more than 40 most weekends to visit friends. I feel that the Life Straw in her kit is not good enough, so I bought this as a replacement:

Sawyer Mini Water Filter

http://amzn.to/2hQeArd
 From the Sawyer website:

Our most popular filter just got smaller and lighter. The Sawyer MINI Water Filter is rated to 0.1 micron absolute, weighs only 2 ounces, and filters up to 100,000 gallons! This award winning system is reliable and easy to use.

The MINI can be attached to the included collapsible drinking pouch, inline on a hydration pack, on a standard soda bottle, or simply use the included drinking straw to drink directly from the water source.  How is that for versatility? Like all Sawyer filters, a proper backwashing can restore up to 98.5% of the filter’s flow rate. That means no expensive cartridges to replace, ever."


My friend's hiking group uses pump-type filters that I think are a bit big for her bag, and since the whole Mini system (bag and adapters) weighs 3.5 oz and fits easily inside a quart zip lock baggie, this will do the job well while taking up minimal space. .

With my job taking me over 40 miles from home and over a bridge every day, and since I could be stranded for several days and/or looking at a 2+ day hike home, I added a Sawyer Mini to my GHB as well. I wanted a more reliable and larger water filter than a Life Straw, and now I have that.

The Takeaway
  • Find something you like, that works for your situation and see if others can use it also. 
  • A recommendation from friends is better for me than 100 online Likes.

The Recap

If you plan on buying anything through Amazon this holiday season, please consider using our referral link. When you do, a portion of the sale comes back here to help keep this site running! 

If you have comments, suggestions or corrections, please post them so we all can learn. And remember, Some Is Always Better Than None!

NOTE: All items tested were purchased by me. No products have been loaned in exchange for a favorable review. Any items sent to me for T&E will be listed as such. Suck it Feds.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Fine Print


This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution- Noncommercial- No Derivative Works 3.0 License.

Creative Commons License


Erin Palette is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.