Wednesday, January 11, 2017

Prudent Prepping: 2016 in Review


The dust has settled and the First 72 Hours have passed. Follow along as I build a long term plan via Prudent Prepping.


The past year went well for me, prepping-wise. I filled many needed items, shifted some supplies into and out of various bags and bought new things.

In no particular order, here are some of the highs and lows of the year.

The Highs
  • I replaced an old water reservoir with a nice new Camelbak that's adaptable to my day pack or GHB! 
  • I am no longer Ahab searching for his impossible find: I finally have a tent, purchased from a friend! 
  • For sleeping in my tent, I found a new air mattress to replace my old, dead pad. 
  • I tested an Esbit stove, one of the more popular compact stoves on the market, with a very nice Sea to Summit cook pot that was a birthday gift. 
  • I followed a recommendation to try a different instant coffee in my GHB which also turned into a great addition to my lunch box.
  • The EDC bag I use updated its contents with very minor changes. 
  • Following the damage to a flashlight, battery storage boxes were ordered. 
  • The first of several First Aid kits were reviewed by me, all of them perfect for my needs. 
  • And due to the outstanding PR skills of our talented Editrix here at Blue Collar Prepping, I was able to do my very first Test and Evaluation of a product!

The Lows
Well, there is only one real gear low point but several slightly disappointing things:
  • An expensive (to me) flashlight was ruined because of neglect. 
The things that are minor irritants are:
  • Needing to find real hiking boots. I did not go on any extended hikes, so there wasn't a rush to buy them in 2016. 
  • Buying food designed for long term storage, and in a more compact form, just wasn't in my budget. 

The Takeaway
  • Keep looking at your gear. I seem to be able to tweak and change things for the better on my budget a bit at a time, and so should you. 
The Recap
  • I really have the best friends, co-bloggers and editor, all of whom tolerate me and my various quirks. I am truly blessed. 

If you plan on buying anything through Amazon, please consider using our referral link. When you do, a portion of the sale comes back here to help keep this site running!

If you have comments, suggestions or corrections, please post them so we all can learn. And remember, Some Is Always Better Than None!


NOTE: All items tested were purchased by me. No products have been loaned in exchange for a favorable review. Any items sent to me for T&E will be listed as such. Suck it Feds.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Fine Print


This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution- Noncommercial- No Derivative Works 3.0 License.

Creative Commons License


Erin Palette is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.