Wednesday, September 6, 2017

Prudent Prepping: Disaster Planning pt. 2

The dust has settled and the First 72 Hours have passed. Follow along as I build a long term plan via Prudent Prepping.

Another post on moving gear in an emergency... which has become a popular topic lately with all of us here at Blue Collar Prepping!

When a Trunk Will Have To Do
I mentioned last week that my Bug Out vehicle has changed from a truck to a car. This has caused me nothing but problems with what I want to carry versus what will actually fit into the trunk of my car! I've started the process of downsizing my stored gear, along with moving some items to my friends' places, especially those things that are duplicates of my gear. One thing that's a plus is that The Buckets of Holding fit in the trunk!

Room to spare!
I let the trunk organizer stay in and pushed it back enough to see if two buckets will fit. As you can see, they fit just fine, and if I empty and collapse the organizer, there's enough room to place all five buckets inside. However, that defeats the whole idea of having the trunk organizer in the first place.

I'll be doing some more experimenting with what will actually fit after adding some of my water jugs and then my full size backpack, tent, and some emergency supplies like the rolls of plastic and the hand tools that were to be carried in the bed of my trunk. Some of the other, larger and heavy supplies will soon be moved to one friend's place, since they have a 4 wheel drive SUV. They will have more than enough room for a Coleman stove, lanterns, and two or three of the buckets, depending on how they have their food stored. Regardless of what their food preps look like, they have the room to carry heavier and bulkier items that I do not.

I've looked at buying a utility roof rack for the Honda, and since the models have not changed much from '05 to my '12, model racks are available used and range in price from "really cheap and with a dodgy history" to "like new and stupid expensive with too many accessories I don't need". This will be put on my To Be Examined Later list.

The Recap
  • Don't be afraid to throw out what you've planned and start over. 
  • Don't let ego get in the way of being safe.
The Takeaway
  • Watching people you know get excited about planning how to be safe in a disaster is fun!
  • Nothing was purchased this week.

If you plan on buying anything through Amazon, please consider using our referral link. When you do, a portion of the sale comes back here to help keep this site running!


If you have comments, suggestions or corrections, please post them so we all can learn. And remember, Some Is Always Better Than None!

NOTE: All items tested were purchased by me. No products have been loaned in exchange for a favorable review. Any items sent to me for T&E will be listed as such. Suck it Feds.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Fine Print


This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution- Noncommercial- No Derivative Works 3.0 License.

Creative Commons License


Erin Palette is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.