Tuesday, July 17, 2018

David's $30 IFAK Challenge

aka The Better Late than Never post, as I catch up with the rest of my co-bloggers!


Why a $30 Dollar Limit?

As Chaplain Tim said in his first aid kit post, we all have different levels of training and ideas on what's important in a kit. Also, this is Blue Collar Prepping, the place where we admit to being on budgets and are proud of it! Everyone has written and explained what is in their kits and the reasons behind those items. To duplicate what several folk have in their big kits would be well over $200, if not more! Here is what I bought.


Adventure Medical Kits Trauma Pak with Advanced Clotting Sponge

https://amzn.to/2m2JPU5
Yes, I know that Erin started with this same pak, but I deliberately did not read anyone's post, just so I would not be influenced by what the others purchased. This is just a coincidence (Really!).

I wanted something very small and lightweight to fit into my lunchbox, a hard sided 6-pack Igloo cooler. Since I do carry my lunch and the fixings are sometimes frozen, everything else has to be waterproof. This is a waterproof package and if it's opened, it is resealable.

What's in the kit?
  • (1) QuikClot 25g Sponge (Zeolite)
  • (1) 5” x 9” Trauma Pad
  • (1) Pair Nitrile Gloves
  • (1) Hand Wipe
  • (1) 2” x 26” Duct Tape
  • (1) Triangular Bandage
  • (1) Package 4” x 4” Sterile Gauze Dressing, 2 dressings per package
  • (1) Package 2” x 2” Sterile Gauze Dressing Pkg, 2 dressings per package
  • (1) 3” Conforming Gauze Bandage
  • (4) After Cuts & Scrapes Antiseptic Wipe (Lidocaine Hydrochloride, Benzalkonium Chloride)
  • (1) Re-Sealable Bag for Bio-Waste and Sucking Chest Wounds


QuikClot Advanced Clotting Sponge, 25g 

https://amzn.to/2Ljj38g
I work around things that can fall, break, or are very sharp (like sheet metal( and can poke you (like fence wire). The Trauma Pak has this exact clotting sponge, but I chose to double up on them, in case I ever have to stop bleeding.

It's worth noting that Adventure Medical sells a 50g clotting sponge as well. It's too expensive to fit in my budget, but it's a great deal at twice the sponge for on 1.5 times the price.



PhysiciansCare by First Aid Only

I wanted to find a small pack of normal first aid items -- band-aids, cleaning wipes, and the like. These are what I normally need and use every week.  I have extras that will go into the box when the original pieces are used up.

The kit includes one antiseptic wipe, one sting relief wipe, two 2" x 2" gauze pads, five adhesive plastic bandages (3/4" x 3") and four junior plastic bandages.


How Did I Do?

I think I did quite well, thank you!
  • The Adventure Medical Trauma Pack was $15.63
  • Quick Clot Sponge was $10.49
  • Small First Aid kit was $3.49
This totals up to $29.61, just under the $30 First Aid Kit Challenge target!

All of my shopping was done on Amazon, and several others have done quite well by brick and mortar shopping, so go and purchase what you need wherever you find it!


Just a reminder: if you plan on buying anything through Amazon, please consider using our referral link. When you do, a portion of the sale comes back here to help keep this site running!

If you have comments, suggestions or corrections, please post them so we all can learn. And remember, Some Is Always Better Than None!

NOTE: All items tested were purchased by me. No products have been loaned in exchange for a favorable review. Any items sent to me for T&E will be listed as such. Suck it Feds.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Fine Print


This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution- Noncommercial- No Derivative Works 3.0 License.

Creative Commons License


Erin Palette is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.