Wednesday, January 2, 2019

Prudent Prepping: Emergency Light

The dust has settled and the First 72 Hours have passed. Follow along as I build a long term plan via Prudent Prepping. 

Happy New Year! I hope everyone had a pleasant holiday celebration in the style and tradition you choose.

I'm always looking for items that hit the sweet spot of both Good and Affordable. I can't afford either end of the quality spectrum: Cheap is prone to breaking or wearing out too soon, and Quality is usually out of my price range. I follow the old saying "Two is one and one is none"as closely as I can in my preps, which means I make educated decisions on how to spend my money by searching for reviews from people I trust and first-hand reports from owners.

I have an actual owner's report for this item.

Pleasant Nature Lantern

https://amzn.to/2CLu1hE

My friend the Master Chief shares my ideas about getting ready for disaster, but he is able to spend money a bit more freely on gear than I can. (He still has a budget to follow, it's just a bit bigger than mine.) We try to have actual duplicated items, so everyone knows how things work if one or the other of us isn't around to open gear in an emergency.

He was looking through Amazon and found this light and decided to take a risk and order one. He's had it for a while now, and I've been able to play with it for a day or so now. I'll be condensing his info and mine to give a review.

From the Amazon page:
  • Upgraded Solar Powered Camping Light perfect for Campers and Hunters. Hang your Pleasant Nature camping light on your back pack during the day for charging and let it light up the dark at night!
  • Free Charging Cable included: Built in USB port for charging your mobile devices. Use as a flashlight or expand to a lantern! Great gift for an outdoor lover!
  • Keep One in your car/house for emergencies. No batteries Needed! The solar strips on the bottom of the light do the charging for you!
  • 100% MONEY SATISFACTION GUARANTEE. If you have any problems with your lantern, let us know and you will be completely refunded!

Bright Light
We both like the idea of dual charging, but neither of us have tried the solar panel on the bottom to get a feel for an actual recharge from the sun -- it's been rather poor conditions for solar lately.

You can see in the picture above that the light has accordion pleats on the body to allow it to collapse into a less than 2" tall cylinder. The plastic is opaque, so the light is very easy on the eyes. This is the lower of the two choices for continuous light (there is also a steady blink setting), but not much actual difference between the two. From answers the manufacturer has given to buyers, the run time on this light setting is 10 hours with a full charge. I've had it running about 4 hours now and I'm not sure the Chief knows how long he's run it, but the quoted 10 hours appears to be true.

It emits enough light for easy reading 2-3 feet away from the lantern, and it would illuminate a good-sized tent very well. You can even hang it with the included loop!

The only criticism that both Master Chief and I have is with the plastic pleats on the body of the light. With repeated opening and closing of the lantern, there is an almost certain chance for the plastic to wear out and either crack or tear on the fold lines. However, for what this product is and what it costs, it seems like something that is worth a closer look.

The Takeaway
  • Doubling up on gear is smart. 
  • Doing it while saving money is even better in my book. 
  • Having a friend to share gear and info with  is priceless.

The Recap

Just a reminder: if you plan on buying anything through Amazon, please consider using our referral link. When you do, a portion of the sale comes back here to help keep this site running!

If you have comments, suggestions or corrections, please post them so we all can learn. And remember, Some Is Always Better Than None!

NOTE: All items tested were purchased by me. No products have been loaned in exchange for a favorable review. Any items sent to me for T&E will be listed as such. Suck it Feds.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Fine Print


This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution- Noncommercial- No Derivative Works 3.0 License.

Creative Commons License


Erin Palette is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.