Wednesday, February 20, 2019

Prudent Prepping: The EDC First Aid Kit, pt. 2

The dust has settled and the First 72 Hours have passed. Follow along as I build a long term plan via Prudent Prepping. 

This is a continuation of this post from several weeks ago, using the included links to previous BCP posts and the posts of friends and readers. All of the links to sites other than BCP worked as of last weekend.

To quote the featured author Jonathan Sullivan:
I AM NOT A DOCTOR, NURSE, OR EMT. THIS IS NOT MEDICAL ADVICE. SEEK TRAINING IF YOU DON’T ALREADY HAVE IT.

What I Carry
My preference, which I've stated plenty of times, is not to look like I'm carrying enough stuff to be mistaken for Batman. To me that means small, light and not bulky.

Not this:

Cool, but not for me










But this:

https://amzn.to/2TZ32FJ
This Maxpedition PHP phone pouch was first seen in this Home Hardening post written by Jonathan Sullivan several years ago. I tried wearing it back then, but I don't think I gave it a good enough trial to see it it was easy to carry.

I have to admit my job then was slightly different from what I'm doing now; currently I do much, much less bending, kneeling and climbing ladders, all of which required me to adjust the pouch out of my way. Since I am less active now I am re-thinking my carry strategy.



One thing I have done differently than Mr. Sullivan is to add one of the tourniquets I purchased in January, a North American Rescue CAT.

https://amzn.to/2T1C2rO



Also carried is a pair of nitrile gloves like these. They aren't the actual gloves I own and use, since the brand doesn't seem to be listed on Amazon any longer. They are however the same thickness and approximately the same price for 200 gloves, if you adjust prices from 3 years ago to now.

https://amzn.to/2GSPqbe


Another item in my PHP case is an Adventure Medical Kits Advanced Clotting Sponge. Of the two options from Adventure Medical, I chose the 25g sponge for its smaller overall size. I need to keep everything as small as possible, and the slight difference in size between the 25g and the 50g model would more than likely be a deal breaker with the Maxpedition case I have.


https://amzn.to/2GSPqbe

I also have about 6' of duct tape (wrapped around a piece of kydex) in place of any other wrap or tape. It has been noted by many that duct tape is a 'less than optimal' choice for holding a bandage in place. I understand and agree with that, but if I'm using my first aid gear in an emergency, things have really gone bad and the trained professionals can deal with a little tape residue. I'm also dealing with almost no extra storage space for another style or type of wrap.

How It Works
Pretty well, actually. I've worn it for almost two weeks now, and I think it's acceptable. My current phone pouch is horizontal and carried right at my appendix, and I've placed this pouch right behind my right hip. In that spot it doesn't seem to be in the way, and I very seldom have to move it around during my day.

The strap/opening on the back of the Maxpedition is a bit wider than my belt, but since it is stiff plastic, I don't feel it moving, which I have felt with MOLLE style straps. The tourniquet is a tight fit in this case and I have ordered a larger version to see if there will be more room to add one or possibly two more items.

Stay tuned as there is definitely more to come!

The Takeaway
  • I need to give any new item, whether shoes, tools or clothes a fair shake to see it I like it. That might take longer than I expect or want, but I just need to relax and live with it.

The Recap
Nothing was purchased the week, but here is the listing for the featured items:


And once again,

I AM NOT A DOCTOR, NURSE, OR EMT. THIS IS NOT MEDICAL ADVICE. SEEK TRAINING IF YOU DON’T ALREADY HAVE IT.


Just a reminder: if you plan on buying anything through Amazon, please consider using our referral link. When you do, a portion of the sale comes back here to help keep this site running! 

If you have comments, suggestions or corrections, please post them so we all can learn. And remember, Some Is Always Better Than None!

NOTE: All items tested were purchased by me. No products have been loaned in exchange for a favorable review. Any items sent to me for T&E will be listed as such. Suck it Feds.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Fine Print


This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution- Noncommercial- No Derivative Works 3.0 License.

Creative Commons License


Erin Palette is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.