Wednesday, June 5, 2019

Prudent Prepping: Worn Gear and Other Things

The dust has settled and the First 72 Hours have passed. Follow along as I build a long term plan via Prudent Prepping.

I was prepping for a future fishing trip when I saw some worn gear. Not just any gear, either, but something really important -- the first aid kit I carry every day.


What Happened?

https://amzn.to/2Ikp6pF
I went to clean out my lunchbox and discovered that the Adventure Medical Kits Trauma Pak I carry developed a small tear in the packaging. I can't get a picture to show where the tear is, but right below the band where the ziploc section joins the bag and directly at the edge of the package (left, where the edge of the bag starts to curve) the bag creased and developed a small hole.

I think it happened from moving the pack around and accidentally folding the top back and forth too many times. I blame myself and not the packaging for the problem, but if a damaged package can happen in less than a year since I first mentioned buying this, then everyone should look at their pack to see if it is still sealed.

Even though my pack never got wet, I'm concerned about the bandages and pads inside the pouch and don't know if they are still in good shape or not. I'm willing to keep everything in the pouch and not tear the seal right now, since I plan only to open it in an emergency, which means that competent medical personnel will be cleaning up and treating whomever I slap-dashed a bandage upon and doctors can sort out any possible contamination in the hospital. This isn't to say that I discount keeping clean and sterile first aid gear; just that this is now going into my car kit where it won't get flexed around any longer.

Since I really like the kit, I've ordered 2 more this week: one as a replacement for my lunchbox and one to go into my camping gear, specifically in my backpack.

Fire Ladder Follow-up
I now have a fire ladder to get out of a 2nd floor window in my new home. I was looking at the various ladders and I decided on the Kidde #468093. It's compact, easy to store, and so lightweight that my housemate's girlfriend can carry and use it. I wanted to take it out of the box and demo it for them, but given the way it's loaded into the box and how it looks to be designed to deploy, I don't think there is any chance I'd get it back in the box. Besides, this model is designed to be a one-time use tool.

Kidde 468093 KL-2S Two-Story Fire Escape Ladder
https://amzn.to/2Ikp6pF
From the Amazon page:
  • Easy to use. Attaches quickly to most common windows
  • Flame resistant, durable and sturdy ladder
  • Strong and durable ladder tested to 1,000 pounds
  • Tangle free design fast and easy to deploy with anti-slip rungs
  • No assembly or tools are required; 5-year warranty
I'm happy with the specs on this ladder, since the more expensive ladders aren't rated any better; they're just a bit wider with different step designs and stand-off legs.

The Takeaway
  • Check your equipment, even if you haven't used it lately. Unknown damage to your supplies could leave you short in an emergency.
  • Follow up with everyone to be certain they know where all emergency supplies are and the basics on how to use everything.

The Recap

***

Just a reminder: if you plan on buying anything through Amazon, please consider using our referral link. When you do, a portion of the sale comes back here to help keep this site running!

If you have comments, suggestions or corrections, please post them so we all can learn. And remember, Some Is Always Better Than None!

NOTE: All items tested were purchased by me. No products have been loaned in exchange for a favorable review. Any items sent to me for T&E will be listed as such. Suck it Feds.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Fine Print


This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution- Noncommercial- No Derivative Works 3.0 License.

Creative Commons License


Erin Palette is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.