Wednesday, July 24, 2019

Prudent Prepping: Travel Tips and the $150 Leek

The dust has settled and the First 72 Hours have passed. Follow along as I build a long term plan via Prudent Prepping.

I'm traveling soon, and there are a few things that I need to resolve now instead of waiting until the last minute... like I've done the previous three trips.

Pack It Early
Get everything sorted, organized and laid out, even if it's not going into the suitcase this minute. It's good advice, so what spell is on me that prevents me from getting the necessary things into the bag? There's no magic involved here, I just seem to leave something home. The things I've regularly left are: tooth brush, tooth paste, razor, cord for the electric razor (when I used one), hair brush, floss, shampoo and flip flops. Not everything on this list was left out all at once; just random items in groups of three or less. Putting everything out where it can be seen seems to help, but not always.

Clean It Out?
I'm taking my sling bag with me, a Rush Moab 6 (talked about here and other places). By putting the whole bag sinside my suitcase, I won't have to worry that something odd setting off a TSA scanner, which means I can carry a real knife and a Leatherman multi-tool around with me.

... except into the building where I'm being trained. Yes, even in a gun friendly state there are restrictions in place for convention centers and other public places. What I'm really having a hard time compromising on is not having a pocket knife with me where it belongs: in my pocket.

The $150 Pocket Knife
I know this looks like your normal, everyday Kershaw Leek -- but it isn't! This is my EDC knife even if I can't carry it clipped to my pocket, since it technically violates my employer's "No Weapons" policy, so it sits in the bottom of my front pocket. Which still violates policy, but at least it isn't obvious.

My personal knife
From the Amazon page for the Leek:
  • Versatile 3.5 in. blade made with 14C28N Sandvik Steel, one of the highest performing knife steels in the world, for increased hardness, corrosion resistance and edge retention
  • 410 stainless steel alloy handle provides resistance to corrosion and extra strength and hardness
  • Frame lock gives the knife a slim sleek style while holding the blade open during use; Tip Lock keeps blade closed during carry
  • SpeedSafe Assisted Opening allows opening with minimal effort and maximal functionality; simple pocket carry and tactical engagement with strong or weak hand
  • Blade Length: 3 in.; Closed Length: 4 in.; Open Length: 7 in.; Weight: 3 oz.

After the events in this post I've mailed it back to myself twice more, which has pushed the total price of my knife to over $150. I know the controversy with safeties on knives, and how many people don't like them, but since this is in my pocket I don't want the knife to accidentally deploy. Yes, it has happened somehow, and that's a very uncomfortable feeling.

I really like the Stainless Steel version because it has been in my pants for over ten years and doesn't show wear. The listed steel is good for holding an edge, but not necessarily easy to sharpen if it gets dull. My Leek will be going into the sling bag as I leave for the airport from work, and then into the suitcase.

Honest!

The Takeaway
  • Planning for a trip is the same as planning to Bug Out: everything needs to be planned and already on a list.

The Recap
  • Nothing was purchased but I really like the Kershaw Leek: $44.25 from Amazon with Prime shipping. 
***

Just a reminder: if you plan on buying anything through Amazon, please consider using our referral link. When you do, a portion of the sale comes back here to help keep this site running!

If you have comments, suggestions or corrections, please post them so we all can learn. And remember, Some Is Always Better Than None!

NOTE: All items tested were purchased by me. No products have been loaned in exchange for a favorable review. Any items sent to me for T&E will be listed as such. Suck it Feds.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Fine Print


This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution- Noncommercial- No Derivative Works 3.0 License.

Creative Commons License


Erin Palette is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.