Wednesday, August 21, 2019

Prudent Prepping: Summer Car Review

The dust has settled and the First 72 Hours have passed. Follow along as I build a long term plan via Prudent Prepping. 

After  watching Monday's video by The Discerning Shootist, I realized it has been a while since I checked everything in my own car.While  I do check the oil, washer fluid, coolant reservoir and those things everyone should be doing every time they gas up, I needed to go through the things I don't think about too often. 

"Out Of Sight"...
... means the things I don't necessarily look at, or the things that are meant only for emergency use. For example, I have a Black and Decker portable power unit which I reviewed in this post almost two years ago. I used it quite often that year, when I was trying to trace a mystery battery/charging problem, but after that I think I used it only once last year, and that wasn't on my car.

https://amzn.to/2Hj3f26

I pulled it out of the trunk yesterday, and while it still showed some charge, it wasn't enough to reliably jump someone with a dead battery.

As I wrote in the original post, I really like its compact size, the power to turn over a 4-cylinder engine, and the fact there is a USB port to give me another recharging source.


Nitecore P12Gt Flashlight
My food is rotated on my regular schedule and the bottled water doesn't last long before it starts tasting funny, so one of the other things I checked was the budget-busting flashlight I reviewed here, I don't have an excuse for ignoring the Nitecore, since it is in the driver's door pocket.

https://amzn.to/2LJVtTc
I ended up buying a single flashlight and a combo kit of flashlight, charger and batteries, since these lights use the very popular and common 18650 rechargeable batteries. If you need a nice flashlight that compares very favorably to the top-of-the-line trendy name brands, look at this one.

 The flashlight uses a CREE LED 'bulb' which puts out a lot of light and also heat. It was still putting out plenty of light after running for 20 minutes on a medium setting, but to be safe I charged the battery anyway. 




Tire-d
The last thing I checked was my tire pressure at the tire shop I use. My inexpensive tire gauge was within 2 lbs of the fancy ones used at the shop, so I trust the reading. After doing that I made sure the spare was up to pressure, too.  

The Takeaway and Recap
  •  Nothing was purchased this week, but I was reminded to check some of the things that I might need in a hurry. 
  • The Nitecore PT12GT Flashlight Kit has gone up in price from my original review, but is still an outstanding deal from Amazon at $89.95 with Prime shipping.
  • The Black and Decker J312B has also gone up in price from two years ago, but is competitively priced with the Big Box stores at $49.97 with Prime.
* * *

Just a reminder: if you plan on buying anything through Amazon, please consider using our referral link. When you do, a portion of the sale comes back here to help keep this site running!

If you have comments, suggestions or corrections, please post them so we all can learn. And remember, Some Is Always Better Than None!

NOTE: All items tested were purchased by me. No products have been loaned in exchange for a favorable review. Any items sent to me for T&E will be listed as such. Suck it Feds.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Fine Print


This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution- Noncommercial- No Derivative Works 3.0 License.

Creative Commons License


Erin Palette is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.