Wednesday, September 4, 2019

Prudent Prepping: August Roundup

The dust has settled and the First 72 Hours have passed. Follow along as I build a long term plan via Prudent Prepping. 

This week I have my usual assortment of slightly too-short or 'reminder' topics to use as stand-alone posts, so here goes!

Seasonal Prep Reminder
I'm still in Summer weather and will likely have warm and dry conditions until sometime in October. Many of you may remember that the past few Octobers here are when all the fires started. Luckily for me, I'm far enough away that I only smelled a little smoke and had ashes on my car two or three times. 

One thing that recently came on my local all-news radio station was a report on masks that many people bought and wore during the N. California wildfires, specifically the various brands of N95 masks. From my time as an employee of a tool and chemical company, I was trained on safe use of various masks and from that I know the N95 mask is rated for particle filtering ONLY.

https://amzn.to/2PDcfWd

  From the 3M site on the most widely sold N95 mask:
"3M™ Particulate Respirator 8210, N95 is a disposable particulate respirator that is designed to help provide reliable respiratory protection of at least 95 percent filtration efficiency against certain non-oil based particles. This respirator is designed for use for particles such as those from grinding, sanding, sweeping, sawing, bagging, or other dusty operations. This respirator can also help reduce inhalation exposures to certain airborne biological particles (examples: mold, Bacillus anthracis, Mycobacterium tuberculosis), but cannot eliminate the risk of contracting infection, illness, or disease. The respirator incorporates 3M’s proprietary technology with advanced electrostatically charged microfiber filter media designed for ease of breathing. This respirator is compatible with a variety of protective eyewear and hearing protection."  
Please look over the information on the linked page for the detailed recommendations for use! 

Now, this doesn't mean I'm not keeping masks in my car GHB; I'm just aware of their limitations and willing to work/live with the protection a 3M N95 mask provides.

Not A Mask
A surprise was on my doorstep today: a box from my friends and Blue Collar Prepping contributors Evelyn and D. R. Zinn! I wasn't sure what was in it, but I certainly liked what I saw when I opened the box -- three shemaghs! 

Several of the bloggers here have, use and recommend the use of shemaghs and as usual, I'm Tail End Charlie in the adoption of cool toys. I needed a quickie tutorial on the use and remembered Erin had a video but (once again) I couldn't find it in the Blue Collar Prepping archives. It was from her personal blog from several years ago, featuring Creek Stewart. I found it informative and pretty easy to follow, even for a Lefty! 



I need to practice wrapping it so I can do it quickly, but I sorta kinda got it done. Sorry, I won't be showing pictures or video until I can make myself semi-presentable!

Consumables
I've checked on the dates of the food in my GHB bag, since the temperatures in my trunk are at the upper limits of safe, long term storage. Since I check my food twice a year nothing is going to get 'old', but I still want to move things up and out. 
  • Canned goods were rotated into the pantry and will be used in a week or two. 
  • Summer clothes are still in the bag, along with a full case of bottled water. 
  • First aid kit was looked into and none of the critical things like triple antibiotic, pain reliever and such were even half way to the expiration dates but I'm still thinking of moving them out.

The Takeaway
  • Sometimes what 'everybody knows' isn't what everybody really needs to know. Always ask and look for more information.
  • The 'not a mask' will certainly do more things than a mask, just not as narrowly focused.
The Recap
  • Nothing was purchased this week, but 3M 8210 N95 masks can be purchased from Amazon for $15.27 with Prime.
  • Sorry, y'all are on your own for Shemaghs. I got the hook-up from my friends!
  • Editrix's note: I got mine from Amazon for $12 and free Prime shipping. 
***

Just a reminder: if you plan on buying anything through Amazon, please consider using our referral link. When you do, a portion of the sale comes back here to help keep this site running!

If you have comments, suggestions or corrections, please post them so we all can learn. And remember, Some Is Always Better Than None!

NOTE: All items tested were purchased by me. No products have been loaned in exchange for a favorable review. Any items sent to me for T&E will be listed as such. Suck it Feds.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Fine Print


This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution- Noncommercial- No Derivative Works 3.0 License.

Creative Commons License


Erin Palette is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.