Wednesday, October 23, 2019

Prudent Prepping: October Roundup


The dust has settled and the First 72 Hours have passed. Follow along as I build a long term plan via Prudent Prepping. 

I haven't done a buffet post in a while, and both this week and last have been really filled with work. I'm tired and there are almost three weeks' worth of topics I don't have time to write, rolling around in my head and as notes in my tablet.

First up, the latest California oddity:

Fire Warning Blackouts Scheduled This Week
Yes friends, you read that correctly. Due to temperatures forecast to hit the low 90's by Friday with wind gusts to 60 mph at the higher elevations, Northern California is shutting off the power again. This time, nowhere near the 800,000 (that became 2 million) originally affected will be in the dark; only a mere 200,000 (maybe. You never know). 

The store I was in today sold 14 generators from Monday morning until I left Tuesday afternoon. I'm still seeing battery lanterns fly out of the stores, and I predict Eveready and Duracell stock will soar in price well before the normal Holiday buying spree.

Share The Knowledge
In my post last week I mentioned needing to find my prepping books. I found them in the bottom of a book tote, as they were on a small shelf beside my computer and so went into the bin first. This was poor planning on my part! I've been looking through the pile and what I found is what I think will be my recommended book for beginners, at least in my area where $13 for a book won't dent most peoples budget.

https://amzn.to/31E9ncv

When The Grid Goes Down (prophetic title, isn't it?) has very short chapters that include many lists, but it is presented in a style that doesn't make reading what is there boring.

From the Amazon page:
Disasters come and go each year. It is through developing a self-reliant mindset, having essential survival gear, and possessing a handful of critical skills that will enable you and your family to prevail in an urban crisis. Jammed with field-tested information from real-world applications, survival instructor Tony Nester covers how to prepare for both short-term survival ranging from 24-72 hours as well as long-term situations resulting from a grid-down emergency or pandemic.

Some of the chapters:
  • The 6 Key Areas for Creating a Self-Reliant Home
  • Water Storage and Purification Methods
  • Alternative Water Sources At Home
  • Creating a Water Map for Your Region
  • The 3 Essential Food Types to Stock Up On
  • Designing an Off-Grid Medical Kit
  • Home Security and Personal Defense Measures
  • Safeguarding the Exterior and Interior of Your Home
  • Heating, Cooling and Lighting When the Power Goes Out
  • Alternative Sanitation and Hygiene Methods.

I have to admit I had a hard time buying this paperback book sight unseen, since it cost $12.95 when I bought it and is now $13.56. At less than 80 pages, the Kindle version is a slightly better value at $4.49, but not by much.

Personal Comfort
I mentioned several weeks ago on the Facebook page that I'd seen markdowns being made on Mission Premium Cooling Towels in a Home Depot I service. I bought one and I like it! As was mentioned by Erin and others, these things only work in low humidity areas, like CA or AZ. Folks in humid areas of the South and Midwest won't benefit from putting a wet rag around their neck as the air is too damp to provide evaporative cooling.

https://amzn.to/2BD7xhr

I haven't seen them lately in stores, but Amazon has them!

From the Amazon page:
  • 100% Polyester
  • Machine Wash
  • Cools instantly to 30 degrees below average body temperature and stays cool for up to 2 hours when wet
  • To activate cooling technology simply soak in water, wring out and snap three times; to reactivate, simply re-soak and re-snap
  • Lightweight, premium stretch fabric with a textured, super-sporty look
  • Chemical-free, reusable and machine washable; permanent technology is incorporated at the fiber level and will never wash out
  • UPF 50 protection against the harmful rays of the sun; size 10" x 33"

Even though Fall is here, it looks like I will get at least one more week use from this before storing it in my warm weather gear box.

Takeaway And Recap
  • California is finally following the lead of other states and experiencing disasters regularly! My hope is this will spur more people to get serious about protecting their family.
  • Finding a suitable book to recommend is hard, and I need to start someplace.
  • The neck wrap is a luxury, but it does get hot and it works well.
  • Nothing was purchased this week, but Amazon has When The Grid Goes Down for $13.56 in paperback or Kindle for $4.46
  • Also on Amazon is the Mission Premium Cooling Towel for (more than I paid for mine, but well under retail) $10.51 with Prime.
***

Just a reminder: if you plan on buying anything through Amazon, please consider using our referral link. When you do, a portion of the sale comes back here to help keep this site running!

If you have comments, suggestions or corrections, please post them so we all can learn. And remember, Some Is Always Better Than None!

NOTE: All items tested were purchased by me. No products have been loaned in exchange for a favorable review. Any items sent to me for T&E will be listed as such. Suck it Feds.

2 comments:

  1. A friend looked at the book and said it looks like lecture notes or outline for PowerPoint.

    ReplyDelete

The Fine Print


This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution- Noncommercial- No Derivative Works 3.0 License.

Creative Commons License


Erin Palette is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.