Wednesday, January 8, 2020

Prudent Prepping: Mixing Right

The dust has settled and the First 72 Hours have passed. Follow along as I build a long term plan via Prudent Prepping. 

I had a very nice holiday season, staying close to home and spending time with family and friends. This was a good thing for me, since in my last post I wrote about how sick I had been and some of what I did to get better. I don't want to be that sick again for a long time.

I now have the one electrolyte mix mentioned in that post, and I sourced two more from a local health food store. The Dr. Price's mix was an easy choice, since it was recommended by a friend. What else did I get?

The Contenders
One disclaimer: I did mention that Gatorade was going to be in my taste test, but it's not because I wasn't able to find the powder on the shelf locally.

Trace Minerals Electrolyte Stamina Power Pak
I wanted to try the same flavor from every company, but Trace in lemon lime was not on the shelf, so orange had to do.

https://amzn.to/2sZvLSq
From the Amazon ad:

Why Power Pak?
These nutrients will help you maintain proper fluid balance to reduce muscle cramps, optimize energy levels, and protect your immune system so you can function at your best.So play harder, endure longer and feel replenished with Electrolyte Stamina Power Pak.

Provides 18 Vitamins and Minerals

Antioxidants - Vitamin C, Selenium, Zinc, and Manganese are powerful antioxidants that support and protect your immune system and help seek out and destroy roaming free radicals.*B Vitamins – Help maintain energy and support metabolism.*

Electrolytes – Potassium, Sodium, Calcium, and Magnesium are essential electrolytes that help your body maintain hydration, prevent muscle cramps, and maintain energy and stamina.* It also includes an electrolyte concentrate of full spectrum trace minerals from seawater.


BodyTech Electrolyte Fizz
This brand did have a Lemon Lime flavor on the shelf.

From the Vitamin Shoppe ad (This is a Vitamin Shoppe house brand, advertised also on Amazon):

https://amzn.to/2T2F0ff

  • 1200 mg of Vitamin C
  • All major Electrolytes
  • Trace Minerals & Elements
  • Antioxidants
  • No sucralose
Electrolyte Fizz is convenient, on-the-go refreshment that provides valuable, endurance-supporting nutrients, including:
  • Potassium, Magnesium, Chloride and Sodium
  • Vitamin C (an essential antioxidant)
  • ConcenTrace, a special electrolyte trace mineral blend
Revitalize and recharge your body's natural energy sources with Electrolyte Fizz.
ConcenTrace is a registered trademark of Trace Minerals Research.

The Taste Test
I followed the directions for the correct amount of water listed on each packet.
  • Dr. Price's: Does not fizz and mixed well. Flavor is very similar to Gatorade. The recommended amount of water is 16 oz., several times that of the others!
  • Bodytech: Fizzes and takes a while to de-fizz. There are some particles in the bottom of the glass that did not dissolve. This also has a similar taste to Gatorade, but since it fizzes there is a little chalky aftertaste. Recommended amount of water is 4-6 oz.
  • Trace Minerals: Fizzes a small amount. Did not completely dissolve but has less residue than Bodytech. The orange flavor made it hard to taste compare easily, but it also has a little chalky aftertaste. Recommended amount of water is 3-4 oz.!

The Results
I'm okay with any of these packets, but I do think I'll be keeping the Dr. Price's, because it has no sugar (even if it is sweetened with Stevia) and leaves no residue in the glass. The others are so low in added sugar to be a non-issue, but Dr. Price's wins for me just because it mixes well.

Recap and Takeaway
  • I'm sold on Dr. Price's, but any of these will do.
  • The test packets were purchased from my local Vitamin Shoppe but are available from Amazon. I highly recommend taste testing them for yourself.
  • Nothing else was purchased this week.

* * *

Just a reminder: if you plan on buying anything through Amazon, please consider using our referral link. When you do, a portion of the sale comes back here to help keep this site running!

If you have comments, suggestions or corrections, please post them so we all can learn. And remember, Some Is Always Better Than None!

NOTE: All items tested were purchased by me. No products have been loaned in exchange for a favorable review. Any items sent to me for T&E will be listed as such. Suck it Feds.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Fine Print


This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution- Noncommercial- No Derivative Works 3.0 License.

Creative Commons License


Erin Palette is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.