Wednesday, April 15, 2020

Prudent Prepping: Parapocalypse Cord

The dust has settled and the First 72 Hours have passed. Follow along as I build a long term plan via Prudent Prepping. 

This week I reached deep into my Bag o' Topics and couldn't even find lint. Luckily for me, our wonderful and talented Editrix bailed me out with an idea.

After talking it over with Erin, I jumped on Amazon to see if I would be able to find what I wanted and have it delivered before May. It was in fact available, and it arrived on Sunday! Due to family obligations I didn't have time to do much more than look over the material, but I did take it apart and see if what was advertised is really there. It is.

Parapocalypse Ultimate Survival Cord
Parachute Cord 7-Strand Core with Fire Starter Waxed Jute, 10lb Mono Fishing Line, Dyna-x, and Yellow Kevlar Cord 625lb Test

Say that three times, fast! That's as big a challenge as the Christmas Story movie Red Ryder BB Gun description.

Super Cord!
From the Amazon ad:
  • Based with our 5/32in 550 Paracord with waxed jute, 10lb fishing line, Dyna-x, and Kevlar 110lb test
  • Our wax coated, waterproof jute is designed to start fires in any situation, even in a downpour
  • The Nano Kevlar 110lb test is great for cooking over a fire or friction sawing through materials
  • Dyna-x is great for low-stretch, ultra-strong applications like snares, hoisting, or mending clothes
  • The 10lb Mono-filament Fishing Line can catch fish, set traps, or suture wounds
This is only a 25' piece of paracord, with the manufacturer offering 50' and 100' lengths for comparable prices. I chose the Tan color for a pretty simple reason: in a pack, with a bunch of other stuff that's mostly black, I want to see what is there and grab it easily. Most of my gear has been black and with having to get into even my sling bag, black inside black isn't doing it for me now.

What's Inside
I was unable to take a decent picture of my sample when unraveled, so this is from the Amazon ad.
  • Rope Diameter - 5/32 in / 4 mm
  • Tensile Strength - 625 lbs / 283.5 kg
  • Weight (oz/100ft) - 10.25 oz / 290 g
  • Waxed Fire starter Tinder
  • 10 LB. Monofilament Fishing Line
  • 1 x 110 LB. test Nano Aramid
  • 160 LB. Dyna X -
  • 7 strand nylon core

from https://www.subatcina.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=58714

My intention is to cut up most of the existing cord to see how it really works, and then re-order at least one more 25' piece or a 25' and 50' for the real camping gear. I will attempt to record a video of some of the tests, if my equipment works well.

Wish me luck!

Recap And Takeaway
  • I purchased one Atwood Rope MFG Paracord from Amazon for $10.99 with Prime.
  • As I try to make my carried gear lighter, smaller and more compact, multi-use items that do not give up utility are high on my list.

* * *

Just a reminder: if you plan on buying anything through Amazon, please consider using our referral link. When you do, a portion of the sale comes back here to help keep this site running!

If you have comments, suggestions or corrections, please post them so we all can learn. And remember, Some Is Always Better Than None!

NOTE: All items tested were purchased by me. No products have been loaned in exchange for a favorable review. Any items sent to me for T&E will be listed as such. Suck it Feds.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Fine Print


This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution- Noncommercial- No Derivative Works 3.0 License.

Creative Commons License


Erin Palette is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.