Wednesday, May 27, 2020

Prudent Prepping: Going Home

The dust has settled and the First 72 Hours have passed. Follow along as I build a long term plan via Prudent Prepping.

A guy I see once or twice a week struck up a conversation with me about how the area seems to catch fire regularly and how his area has only two roads into where he lives. . The topic of getting ready to leave in a hurry came up and I mentioned I've a bag in my car with some supplies ready to get me home. Here is what I have in my Get Home Bag.

The Bag: HDE 20L MOLLE Tactical Military Backpack 
This was a gift and I very regularly recommend it as a small-ish backpack or Day Pack. Here is a link to the post showing bag and its contents when I traveled 300+ miles a week.

From the Amazon page:
https://amzn.to/3ers2Pz
  • Materials: 600D Nylon
  • Zipper closure
  • 17" shoulder drop
  • Military tactical backpack size approx.: 9" x 9" x 17" Heavy duty 600D Nylon construction with quiet Paracord pulls and adjustable chest and waist belts
  • Lightweight and breathable 20L capacity with 4 zippered compartments, 1 padded velcro rear pouch, and top carry handle
  • MOLLE style webbing, D-rings, and compatible with a hydration pack (not included)
  • Fast-release buckles and padded straps helps relieve weight and reduces fatigue when carrying heavy loads
  • Great for students, hiking enthusiasts, military, first-responder personnel, or anyone with a passion for the outdoors, everyday use
The only downside is it isn't waterproof. I have treated it with repellent spray and carry the contents in plastic bags, in case I ever get caught going home in the rain.

Since I am no more than 17 miles from home now, I have drastically reduced the things inside.

What's In It?

Small pocket

Small Front Pocket
I don't plan on cooking on the walk home, so the small pot I had last year, or the cooking kit shown in the previously linked post isn't here.

From Top Left:
Pen, pencil with ~20' of duct tape, AA batteries, eyeglass repair kit.

Bottom:
Hatori flashlight, Rite In The Rain notebook, UCO waterproof matches. I think these items are pretty self-explanatory.





Medium Pocket



Large Front Pocket
Even though I don't plan on cooking, there may still be a reason to start a fire and I do believe in the 'One is None'  Principle, so there are several ways to start a fire in my gear.

Left to Right:
Wet Wipes, large knife (gift from the Master Chief), UST SparkieSmith Pocket Pal X2 sharpener, partial roll of toilet paper and travel pack of Kleenex.








Main Pocket
Main Pocket
The main pocket is where I'm carrying my bulky gear. Yes, this is a little less food than many people carry, but this is plenty to get me home from my normal commute.

Top:
Breath Mints, 2x 50ml of alcohol (just because), CRKT Guppie and CRKT Eat 'N Tool, Leatherman Tool, canned tuna.

The Leatherman tool is one of the originals, and I don't remember the model, but it was a gift. Not shown is any water that I keep in in my car and if needed, will be moved into my bag.





Main Pocket




Here are the only clothes I carry in my GHB: two pair of socks and and a long sleeve T shirt. There is a complete change of clothes available in my car.












Large Pocket

































Large Pocket

The very last items in my bag are a Frogg Toggs rain poncho and a SOL 2 Person Emergency blanket.

The Poncho is always there because even in the summer, there can be fog and cold weather near the coast and the SOL is a good emergency wrap and possible signal flag.









That's everything I have in my bag. I strongly recommend searching this blog for Get Home Bags to compare what my co-bloggers carry.

Recap And Takeaway
  • Having a plan and following it is important; just be prepared to modify as necessary.
  • Nothing was purchased this last week, but there are links to what I think are the most important things to carry.
* * *

Just a reminder: if you plan on buying anything through Amazon, please consider using our referral link. When you do, a portion of the sale comes back here to help keep this site running!

If you have comments, suggestions or corrections, please post them so we all can learn. And remember, Some Is Always Better Than None!

NOTE: All items tested were purchased by me. No products have been loaned in exchange for a favorable review. Any items sent to me for T&E will be listed as such. Suck it Feds.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Fine Print


This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution- Noncommercial- No Derivative Works 3.0 License.

Creative Commons License


Erin Palette is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.