Wednesday, August 1, 2018

Prudent Prepping: Nitecore P12GT

The dust has settled and the First 72 Hours have passed. Follow along as I build a long term plan via Prudent Prepping. 

I've made jokes about fans of flashlights with ALL THE LUMENS more than once, but that doesn't mean I don't appreciate (or covet) more light. I recently found a 1,000 lumen flashlight that fits into my gear nicely and is, in my opinion, an incredible bargain.


Nitecore P12GT

https://amzn.to/2LJVtTc

The Nitecore P12GT webpage is not copy n' paste friendly, so I will not have my usual set of bullet point examples. Instead I will list several bits of information from there and then my own observations.

Four Brightness Levels:

The amount of light it puts out is 3 times as many lumens as my next closest light!
  1. Dim. Useful in a hotel room for not waking others up as you stagger to the bathroom at 2 AM. at a convention. Not that I know anything about that.
  2. Low. Similar to a drug store 1 AAA flashlight, and definitely enough light to get around in the dark.
  3. Bright. Previously, I would have been satisfied with this amount of light. Previously.
  4. MY EYES. Shining this in someones eyes at close range will make an impression on their retinas for a while. It is bright! Don't even think about the strobe at close range either. I turned it on after dark and the bounce off a white-painted wall was enough to have me seeing spots for a good 10 minutes.

What I Like
  • It is slightly longer than my previous high price flashlight and larger in diameter, but not enough to bother.
  • The tail on/off switch is covered in rubber and takes a good push to actuate. 
  • The Mode button placed on the side also needs a positive push to change things, which means I won't be accidentally changing from See Everything to Too Dim To Read. 
  • A seriously sturdy pocket clip. 
  • An anti-roll away device. The pocket clip should do that job by itself, but without it you do need something else. 
  • Uses either 2 ea. 123A lithium batteries or one 18650 Li-ion battery
  • Battery level can be checked by holding the Mode and On switch down at the same time, causing the Mode switch to blink if power is 50% or less. 

What I Like Less

I don't hate or dislike anything on this light, but there are some things I don't like quite as much.
  • The anti-roll device needs to be either slightly larger in diameter, or the flats need to be fewer in number so that the remaining flats can have longer lengths. 
  • Heat. On the higher settings, this flashlight gets warm -- not to the point that you can't hold it, but it heats up. Nitecore mentions in the instructions having a heat-sensing circuit to moderate the output to extend run-time and prevent damage to the light. 

That's it. This is a great flashlight!


The Recap


Just a reminder: if you plan on buying anything through Amazon, please consider using our referral link. When you do, a portion of the sale comes back here to help keep this site running!

If you have comments, suggestions or corrections, please post them so we all can learn. And remember, Some Is Always Better Than None!

NOTE: All items tested were purchased by me. No products have been loaned in exchange for a favorable review. Any items sent to me for T&E will be listed as such. Suck it Feds.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Fine Print


This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution- Noncommercial- No Derivative Works 3.0 License.

Creative Commons License


Erin Palette is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.