Monday, September 15, 2014

Evie's Gear: My OHED

"OHED?"

On. Hand. Every. Day.

For all of my talking, I actually don't leave the apartment that much right now. Yes, LA kind of freaks me out, and I can't carry in California, so I just tend to stay home so that I can function. Going places by myself here triggers some serious anxiety attacks, and I'd rather not lose one to three days of productivity to that. When I do go out it's always in the company of my fiance, who carries his own EDC bag.

Today I'm just going to do a quick overview of what would constitute my EDC when I go out, but since I don't go out that often, I call it my OHED instead.

So here you go, here's a pic of my awesome OHED.  (Stop snickering!)


We'll start with the easy stuff.

One hat.  I know, it looks a bit grimy, but I've had that particular hat for about four years now (and it was on sale at Wal*Mart for a buck).

One small homemade back pack with paracord straps.  This was made from material salvaged from an old and worn out pair of DR's jeans. (He's one of our guest bloggers -- did the series on useful apps for your electronic devices and is also my fiance.)  You won't find that particular model of pack anywhere, so I don't have a link for you.

One wallet (shut up about the butterflies, it was the least girly wallet I could find for under six bucks). Normally I have enough change in it to get two people home via the bus regardless of where we might be in LA, but things have been a tad tight the past few weeks, and I've only just now had a chance to put that bus fare back into it.

Several pens.  People have a tendency for stealing mine.

Four memo pads, in ziplock bags.  Mostly because it never fails: if I don't protect whatever note taking materials I have, they always get soaked somehow, be it from water, beer, coffee or tea.

There on my key ring is a paracord key fob, a small ferrous rod (gift from Tim, one of my fellow bloggers here), and a small black tube that I (normally) have 20 spare bucks in.

One paracord bracelet.

Pocket knife, Gerber brand. It was a gift several years ago from a good friend, has served me well, and I haven't managed to break it yet.  I know there's a fair amount of Gerber hate among knife folks, but I like it, so back off.  (I do need to sharpen it though.)

That black knife leaning against my hat is a new addition as of today.  Another gift from a good friend, it's made of ABS plastic.

The scissors and hair tie are self-explanatory.

Oh, and that rock.  Tiger's eye.  It's a bit of a Wiccan thing, as Tiger's Eye is reputed to have calming effects. This particular chunk is my pocket stone: small enough to ride around in my front pocket, and when I start getting a bit anxious, I can treat it like a worry stone. It's also big enough to hold in my right hand like a roll of a quarters if I need to start throwing punches.

What? You thought that rock was only for spiritual, new agey stuff? Please! I try to multitask with my things.

And then there are all those pots and pans in the kitchen....

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Fine Print


This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution- Noncommercial- No Derivative Works 3.0 License.

Creative Commons License


Erin Palette is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.