Wednesday, October 14, 2015

Prudent Prepping: Buffet Post

The dust has settled and the First 72 Hours have passed. Now we concentrate  on what to do in, and how to plan for, the long term via Prudent Prepping.

I have several topics to cover that don't make a full article by themselves, so welcome to the

Almost Monthly Buffet Post!


Blanket Statement
On the Sooper Seekrit BCP Admin Site (tm), Chaplin Tim mentioned an important item for preppers: extra blankets, like these from Midway.

From the website:
These soft loom woven blankets have a whip stitched edge and contain no less than 75% wool. Wool blankets insulate the wearer naturally and wick sweat and moisture from the body. Wool also is resistant to mold and bacteria, making these blankets a great long term investment. No emergency preparation kit is complete without a wool blanket. Put one in the trunk of the car, one in a bug-out bag and stow one in your weather safe room.
I am looking at these very carefully as an addition to my stores, which ties in to an older series of posts from here and here, where I talked about a bug problem that now appears to be solved! I haven't trapped any new moths in three weeks, and conditions have been perfect for a fresh hatch if there were any eggs or larva here.

If the inventory lasts, I'm buying several of them to add to the ones that have a few small, random holes. From the bugs. That used to be in my closet.

Personal Protection
Not guns; sorry, I leave that topic for folks who live in free states. What I mean is protecting yourself while working, like wearing gloves. Erin interviewed me on the Gun Blog Variety Cast (you should listen and subscribe!) about gloves on this episode.

I spoke about gloves in general there and now I want to speak about some gloves I'm using daily: My Least Favorite, Favorite Gloves.

They are Cordova Cor-Touch KV4 gloves. Why are thet my 'least favorite' gloves? I have to wear them 6+ hours a day, five days a week. The vinyl palm makes my hands a bit sweaty and that drys my hands out. Seriously though, using some lotion is a small price to pay for being bandage-free. You have to log in to view the actual specs of these gloves, but the info shown below gives the sources and ratings.

http://www.cordovaisc.com/product/3055c-cor-touch-kv4/
3055C Cor-Touch KV4™
  • 13-Gauge, Aramid/Lycra Shell, 
  • Black Foam Nitrile Palm Coating, 
  • CE/EN 388: 4432, CE Cut Level 4, 
  • ANSI Cut Level 2: 532 grams, 
  • Sizes: XS-2XL

The short version is these are fairly resistant to cuts from sheet metal and utility knife/box cutter blades, but NOT PUNCTURE RESISTANT/PROOF.
WARNING! 
DON'T TRY THIS AT HOME 
WITHOUT ADULT SUPERVISION!
Yes, this is my hand in my glove, with a brand new blade in the utility knife. They do work as advertised. If I cut long enough in one area, it is possible to cut these gloves but since they are rather thin, the sensation of cutting and pressure comes through quickly, making it rather hard to cut myself.

Of course, Your Mileage May Vary and Past Performance Does Not Guarantee Future Results or something like that.

The Takeaway
  • Always look for deals and share the info with your friends! 
  • Check your stored items regularly for any damage or spoilage. Emergencies don't have a schedule but you should. 
  • Keep yourself safe so you can then care for others.
Recap
  • Wool blankets from Midway: various prices. Not purchased-- yet.
  • Cordova gloves: $0 (employer supplied), but can be bought from Amazon as a 12 pak for $62.98.

If you have comments, suggestions or corrections, please post them so we all can learn. And remember, Some Is Always Better Than None!

NOTE: All items tested were purchased be me. No products have been loaned in exchange for a favorable review. Any items sent to me for T&E will be listed as such. Suck it Feds.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Fine Print


This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution- Noncommercial- No Derivative Works 3.0 License.

Creative Commons License


Erin Palette is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.