Wednesday, October 21, 2015

Buffet Post Part 2: The Expansion

 The dust has settled and the First 72 Hours have passed. Now we concentrate  on what to do in, and how to plan for, the long term via Prudent Prepping.

As a follow-up to last weeks post about my Least Favorite Gloves, I want to show that while they are cut resistant, they will still tear when snagged on a staple or a nail. As you see in the picture below, in about the same area as I cut in the video, my glove has two holes. I don't know if I actually weakened the glove or if it was a coincidence the hole is in the same area, but I think it was weakened. Luckily, I have extra pairs and can get more in a few days.

I snagged it almost in the same location


One thing that was pointed out to me is the Amazon link in the post does not lead to the same model gloves, and I now cannot find the same gloves even listed! The manufacturer may not make them available through Amazon regularly, I don't know. More research is necessary.

Mentioned in passing in the glove portion of the post was that I use lotion to keep my hands from drying out due to sweat and washing. It isn't really lotion; it's actually Jojoba Oil from Trader Joe's. I like to use it since there is no scent, it absorbs fairly well and a small amount goes a long way. I have used this bottle for about a year and it's down about 1/2". One drop is all I use to completely cover my hands up past my wrists, and it rubs in quickly. 


Found in the Personal Care
section at Trader Joe's.
Another reason for this purchase is the easy use as an add-on fire starter accelerant. I have seen YouTube videos of people stuffing Vaselene-soaked cotton balls into straws for use as fire starters. With this oil I can soak almost anything flammable and get it to ignite with either matches or a magnesium block.

When I bought this it was $7.95, which sounds expensive but if you look at the amount used per day, I expect this bottle to be damaged and needing to be tossed out before I use it up!

One Caution: this bottle uses a flip-up top which might leak in certain situations. My bottle is kept by itself inside a heavy duty zip lock bag in my lunch box. At one time I kept it in a bag with some first aid items, which turned out to be a bad idea when the bottle leaked and ruined the other items.

The Takeaway
  • Anything that you use needs to be maintained, and items that are used daily need to have backups for when the inevitable (expected or not) happens. 
  • Dual use items are always best. 
  • Simple solutions to complex problems are my favorite.
    Recap
    • Cut resistant gloves: Not available through Amazon. Sorry!
    • Hand lotion/fire starter oil: Approx. $7.95 from Trader Joe's.

      If you have comments, suggestions or corrections, please post them so we all can learn. And remember, Some Is Always Better Than None!

      NOTE: All items tested were purchased be me. No products have been loaned in exchange for a favorable review. Any items sent to me for T&E will be listed as such. Suck it Feds.

      No comments:

      Post a Comment

      The Fine Print


      This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution- Noncommercial- No Derivative Works 3.0 License.

      Creative Commons License


      Erin Palette is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.