Wednesday, April 27, 2016

Prudent Prepping: Shelter!


The dust has settled and the First 72 Hours have passed. Now we concentrate on what to do in, and how to plan for, the long term via Prudent Prepping.

Back in March I mentioned my purchase of a tent, and how there was no room inside my house to set up and evaluate it. Complicating things was all the rain (Yay!) California has received -- all on my days off, it seems. I didn't want to set up my tent in the rain or on wet ground, as I don't have a place to put it to dry out before re-rolling for storage.

My new tent is a Coleman Hooligan 2. purchased from a friend. I still don't have a complete test of the tent, as it needs to be staked down and my back yard has no lawn areas, but I was able erect it using blocks as anchors. This allowed me to set it up to check it over and see how everything works together.

Here is a Youtube video showing how to set up the Hooligan 2.


In less than 5 minutes I had the tent up and ready to place the rain fly, and I expect to be able to do it faster using actual stakes instead of blocks. As seen in the video, I also put the rain fly on backwards at first, but since it is held on by simple open end hooks, rotating everything 180 degrees was easy.


Here is the rain fly, incorrectly installed, and about to be blown off in the wind. I was not able to get everything completely assembled, due to setting the tent up on patio pavers in fairly breezy winds. Right after this, a gust of wind blew hard enough to tip the tent over and send the fly into the weeds, ending the photo session.

I like this tent, even if it isn't the lightest (7 lbs) since it IS a tent and I needed one for so long. I now have the last item on my prepping list!

Recap
  • One seriously needed tent, from a friend, priceless. Both of them.
  • Thank you.

Just a reminder: if you plan on buying anything through Amazon, please consider using our referral link. When you do, a portion of the sale comes back here to help keep this site running!

If you have comments, suggestions or corrections, please post them so we all can learn. And remember, Some Is Always Better Than None!

NOTE: All items tested were purchased by me. No products have been loaned in exchange for a favorable review. Any items sent to me for T&E will be listed as such. Suck it Feds.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Fine Print


This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution- Noncommercial- No Derivative Works 3.0 License.

Creative Commons License


Erin Palette is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.