Wednesday, October 5, 2016

Prudent Prepping: Winterizing My Preps

The dust has settled and the First 72 Hours have passed. Follow along as I build a long term plan via Prudent Prepping.

The weather is changing here in California, and there are several things that need to be done to winterize our vehicles even though it doesn't get as cold, or the roads as nasty, as in other parts of the country.

The Basics
I always check my in-car supplies for freshness; food, water and other items like over the counter drugs need to be looked over and replaced or discarded as needed. I always rotate out painkillers and antibiotics that are affected by heat out sooner than is really necessary, just to be safe.

I also start to move clothing worn in cooler weather into my GHB. The summer gear is still there, but with a long sleeve T shirt and a rain poncho going in.

My Vehicle
Now is also a good time for me to check the rest of my vehicle fluids and top them up or change them if needed. 

What caused me to get started this week is the rain last Sunday and Monday. When I went to use my wipers, one of the blades had separated slightly from not being used, which caused an uneven cleaning of the windshield on the drivers side. After replacing those, I checked the washer reservoir and topped up that with fresh fluid. I only use regular bug remover on my truck since it doesn't freeze here very often; when there is a frost and freeze warning, I add a small amount of lower-temperature washer fluid to get me through.

Tire pressure should be checked on a schedule that is best for you; I check mine every third fill-up or twice a month, depending how much I drive those weeks. Spare tires needs to be included in this as well, and since mine is accessible only from under the truck, I like to check it whenever I have a dry place to lie down and not get messy. 

Speaking of fill-ups, California changes from a blend higher in certain additives sold in the summer to a more standard combination for the remainder of the year. I use fuel additives all year long, but at this time of year I add cleaner to every other tank in order to remove condensation that might be in the tank from the temperature changing from hot to cold and back again.

Something else that might not be thought of as a regular item to check is the belt(s) on the engine. If the rubber has gotten stiff and dry, belt can slip when the weather gets cold and I can hear a loud squealing or squeaking sound when starting my car. In most cases this is just annoying, but at worst this runs the risk of not charging my battery or having a bad belt break, stranding me on the side of the road.

Not sure what this looks like? Google and YouTube are your friend.

http://www.pelicanparts.com/techarticles/Porsche-Cayenne/03-ENGINE-Serpentine_Belt_Replacement/images_large/pic01.jpg

As the weather gets colder, my co-bloggers will be talking about real cold weather vehicle maintenance, so stay tuned.

Purchased This Week
  • One set of Rain-X wiper blades: $21.00 from Walmart.

Just a reminder: if you plan on buying anything through Amazon, please consider using our referral link. When you do, a portion of the sale comes back here to help keep this site running! 

If you have comments, suggestions or corrections, please post them so we all can learn. And remember, Some Is Always Better Than None!

NOTE: All items tested were purchased by me. No products have been loaned in exchange for a favorable review. Any items sent to me for T&E will be listed as such. Suck it Feds.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Fine Print


This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution- Noncommercial- No Derivative Works 3.0 License.

Creative Commons License


Erin Palette is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.