Wednesday, May 30, 2018

Prudent Prepping: Setting Up A Friend

The dust has settled and the First 72 Hours have passed. Follow along as I build a long term plan via Prudent 
Prepping. 

I'm helping a new friend set up a Get Home Bag. I've set up several, including my own, and here are my basic requirements.

A Bag
There has to be a way to organize and keep things handy and safe. While a bag/backpack sling bag is required to 'Get Home', the size, shape, style or color isn't up to me so I'm leaving that up to my friend.

The Gear
This is another Work In Progress, with additions to the bag going in slowly. It's not my bag, after all.

The basic Basics

Esbit Stove and Fuel
I like the compact size and low weight of the Esbit stove, along with the fact it is simple to set up and use. Everything you need to heat water or food is right there, with no need to forage for twigs or dry tinder. To start the fire I added UCO Stormproof matches. I've taken the striker strips off the outside of the case and CAREFULLY placed them inside the waterproof case, because they are plain paper and will not work if they become soggy.

Cooking Pot
I've donated an MSR stainless steel cooking pot. This is their 1.1 liter size, large enough to heat enough water for 2-3 dehydrated meal pouches and then wash dirty utensils.

Water Filter and Bottle
The Sawyer Squeeze filter is extremely light weight at 3 oz. and this set comes with 16, 32 and 64 oz. water pouches.  The filter easily stores inside the 32 oz. Nalgene bottle, the wide mouth allowing it to drop right inside.

Blanket and Wipes
Everyone has their favorite emergency blanket, and I like the SOL brand. They are light weight, store easily, and will wrap up 2 people if necessary.

Wet wipes are useful for removing as much dirt and grime as simply and easily as possible, especially if water is in short supply.

And More...
This is just a start. I think with a little more time and a camping trip or two, additions to this set will be easier to discuss and then be adjusted to meet individual needs.

In Other News
Based on Scott's recent post on Rubbing Alcohol and the comments in the Blue Collar Prepping Facebook group, I decided to add some alcohol of my own to the GHB!
 
Alcohol!

These are 50ml plastic pouches purchased from a local discount liquor chain. Since these will burn almost as well as rubbing alcohol, won't evaporate as quickly, and can be used as a disinfectant and water treatment, I bought two  vodka and two spiced rum. (Strictly for emergency use!)

Check your local stores for availability.

The Takeaway
  • Helping friends get prepared is important. 
  • Watching them realize how easy it is to protect themselves and their families is satisfying.

The Recap
  • One Esbit Stove and fuel set: $30.97 with Amazon Prime
  • One UCO Stormproof matches set in a waterproof case: $7.93 from Amazon 
  • One MSR 1.1 liter stainless pot:  $19.99 from Amazon with Prime
  • One SOL Emergency Blanket: $4.99 from Amazon with Prime
  • Four 50ml assorted alcohol pouches: BevMo (a local discount liquor chain) $1.99 ea.

Just a reminder: if you plan on buying anything through Amazon, please consider using our referral link. When you do, a portion of the sale comes back here to help keep this site running!

If you have comments, suggestions or corrections, please post them so we all can learn. And remember, Some Is Always Better Than None!

NOTE: All items tested were purchased by me. No products have been loaned in exchange for a favorable review. Any items sent to me for T&E will be listed as such. Suck it Feds.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Fine Print


This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution- Noncommercial- No Derivative Works 3.0 License.

Creative Commons License


Erin Palette is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.