Wednesday, August 19, 2015

Prudent Prepping: Buffet Post


The dust has settled and the First 72 Hours have passed. Now we concentrate on what to do in, and how to plan for, the long term via Prudent Prepping.

This is my almost monthly roundup of things that have happened which are too small  to be made into a full-on blog topic.


Personal Preps
I have been looking for a full-time job for some time, and when I do get the chance to interview, I want to make a good impression: nice shirt, sharply creased pants and polished shoes.

Yes, about my shoes: last week, as I was going out the door, I noticed one shoe was not tied well so I pulled on the end to take up the slack. BINK! the lace broke. Both shoes had old laces, but since I don't wear them very often I kept putting off replacing them. Fortunately I have two pairs of identical black shoes that I can alternate wearing if one set gets wet, so I just grabbed the other pair. The worst part is I have shoe laces in my truck bag, just for occasions like this.

I don't think I'm getting the job, but it's not because I didn't look presentable.

Every Day Carry
Over the weekend, before it hit 100° here, a friend and I took a hike with her dogs on a scenic trail overlooking the river and hills. I pack a minimum of two liters of water in my EDC bag and while it was only in the high 80s where we were, everyone needed to drink some water. This was not a problem for the top end of the leash, but a bit more so for the bottom end. I didn't have a cup to use for the two small dogs to drink from, so our hands were used instead -- not an efficient use of the water at hand!

When I got home, the Sea to Summit X-Bowl in my Camping/BOB gear was moved into the EDC bag. I have mentioned Sea To Summit in the past and this is another really neat item. The bowl collapses with accordion-like folds from over 2" in height down to only 3/4".



Yard Sale Finds
I hit several neighborhood yard sales and found a small, compact pair of inexpensive binoculars to go into my GHB/EDC gear. I have been wanting some binoculars for a while, and these are perfect for my needs: light, very compact, and if I break them, I don't really care.

The Takeaway
  • Think about maintaining all your gear, even the things you may not use or see every day. 
  • The items that I carry need to be adaptable to more than one use. 
  • Plan for pets every day, not just in an emergency.

Recap
  • 3 pairs of 30" shoe laces;  $2.39 each at Target.
  • 4 x 15 power Vivitar binoculars; $2 at a yard sale.

As always, if you have comments, suggestions or corrections, please post them so we all can learn. And remember, Some Is Always Better Than None!

NOTE: All items tested were purchased by me. No products have been loaned in exchange for a favorable review. Any items sent to me for T&E will be listed as such. Suck it Feds.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Fine Print


This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution- Noncommercial- No Derivative Works 3.0 License.

Creative Commons License


Erin Palette is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.