Wednesday, May 10, 2017

Prudent Prepping: Group Buy Product Unboxing

The dust has settled and the First 72 Hours have passed. Follow along as I build a long term plan via Prudent Prepping.

On the Blue Collar Prepping Facebook page ,Darryl Hadfield offered us an opportunity to save serious money on a Gerber Center Drive multi-tool via a $76 Group Buy.

Due to moving several times and a lack of space, many smaller items that I own and would like to use can't be found easily. I have storage totes stacked almost to the ceiling full of books, mementos and things that were in cabinets I don't own any longer. In one of them is at least one Leatherman (and more than likely three), so the chance to get a new tool I can put my hands on quickly was too good to pass up.

It came in the mail yesterday. This isn't really a test but a first impression. What's my impression? Very Nice!

Gerber Center Drive
http://amzn.to/2q3qSUb
What a tool it is! I now regret using the name One Tool to Do It All, because this beauty comes much closer to that description than a mere screwdriver ever will.

I have owned many different multi-tools and really like having one around or on my belt. Previous jobs didn't have me carrying around 1.5 lbs of waist-mounted gear, so a Leatherman (or similar) wasn't an actual drag on my belt.


From the Gerber website:
"Gerber’s new multi-tool offers uncompromising performance through revolutionary design. The innovative center-axis driver opens to align like a real screw driver, yielding maximum torque and rotation. No productivity is sacrificed with the addition of a 30% longer outboard blade and one-thumb opening sliding jaws. Full size, real tools - the multi-tool just got a reality check." 

Previous versions of the Gerber multi-tool allowed the user to snap their wrist down quickly to extend the jaws, but this model uses a sliding button (seen in the picture, close to the jaws) to unlock the handle and extend the jaws. I prefer the slide to the wrist-snap.

Now I have to dig into my stored gear to find a Leatherman so I can test them head-to-head... or jaw-to-jaw, as the case may be.


The Takeaway
  • A no-fooling, solid multi-tool at a great price! 

The Recap
  • One Gerber Center Drive tool
    • Gerber MSRP: $119
    • BCP Group Buy price: $76 including shipping. 
    • Purchased through Amazon with Prime: $89.97 

If you plan on buying anything through Amazon, please consider using our referral link. When you do, a portion of the sale comes back here to help keep this site running!
If you have comments, suggestions or corrections, please post them so we all can learn. And remember, Some Is Always Better Than None!

NOTE: All items tested were purchased by me. No products have been loaned in exchange for a favorable review. Any items sent to me for T&E will be listed as such. Suck it Feds.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Fine Print


This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution- Noncommercial- No Derivative Works 3.0 License.

Creative Commons License


Erin Palette is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.