Wednesday, February 27, 2019

Prudent Prepping: Splinter Removal

The dust has settled and the First 72 Hours have passed. Follow along as I build a long term plan via Prudent Prepping.

I went to my local knife shop last month to hang out and see all the cool things I couldn't (and still can't) afford. I've been doing a little metal working lately, and while using one of my knives to dig out splinters is always an option, seeing them has been getting harder and harder. I need glasses to see down the road, and lately the close-up stuff has needed 'cheaters' for the fine print... and okay, some not-so fine print also.

I saw these on the shelf and took a set home.

SZCO Supplies Magnifying Tweezers 
I needed a set of tweezers that day and couldn't wait to see if Amazon had some. As with most things, Amazon carries the complete line of SZCO tweezers.

https://amzn.to/2Ss8Y8B
From the SZCO Tweezer Amazon page:
  • A powerful 3X magnifying glass and needle-tipped tweezers combine to make this one of the handiest items in the tool box or first aid kit
  • This product is easy to use easy to install and highly durable
  • Item is manufactured in Pakistan
  • 3.5 Inches in length
  • Magnifying glass
  • Stainless steel composition

I reviewed a set of tweezers many years ago, but these are different and maybe even better, since I can now easily see even the finest splinter in my hand. The points are sharp and fine enough that I think I could easily remove anything buried in my skin, although I haven't yet needed to try. The tweezer part collapses down to sit close to the glass, so they fit into a very slim pouch and take up no more room in my bag than my pen and pencil set.

I'm going to order at least one more set to keep in my GHB first aid kit.

The Takeaway 
  • While tweezers aren't a necessity, I like being able to remove irritants easily.
  • I'd have no hesitation loaning these to someone, since not everyone wants to dig for splinters with your (or my) Tacti-Cool folding knife.

The Recap

Just a reminder: if you plan on buying anything through Amazon, please consider using our referral link. When you do, a portion of the sale comes back here to help keep this site running! 

If you have comments, suggestions or corrections, please post them so we all can learn. And remember, Some Is Always Better Than None!

NOTE: All items tested were purchased by me. No products have been loaned in exchange for a favorable review. Any items sent to me for T&E will be listed as such. Suck it Feds.

2 comments:

  1. I've found that saying, "I used my knife to scrape dog poo off of my shoe, but I think I cleaned the knife afterwards" cuts down people wanting to borrow my knife.

    I've found that a bright light, a pair of headband magnifiers and tweezers with very fine tips work well for splinter extraction.

    I'll check out the magnifier tweezers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Another method which works well in many cases where part of the splinter is sticking out is to apply duct tape and pull in the direction opposite to splinter entry. In my experience, this works extremely well on small metal or glass shards.

    ReplyDelete

The Fine Print


This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution- Noncommercial- No Derivative Works 3.0 License.

Creative Commons License


Erin Palette is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.