Wednesday, August 19, 2020

Prudent Prepping: Baby, It's Hot Outside (and Everywhere Else)

The dust has settled and the First 72 Hours have passed. Follow along as I build a long term plan via Prudent Prepping.

My job has temporarily changed in both the location where I work and the type of work I do. For the next 6-8 weeks I will be working in a gigantic warehouse, loading trucks. Not only is the warehouse hot, inside the trailers it is 20 degrees hotter. 

How hot is that, you ask? 

Very Hot
In my part of California it barely gets over 100° maybe 5 days a year. This year, not only has it been over 100° longer that that, it's also been as hot as 107°; in S. California, Death Valley reached 128° 

I need to change what I do at work, how I stay safe, and also what I wear, starting with underwear. I'm tired of damp shorts, and as it's over 90° at 5 AM and I'm sweaty 30 minutes after starting work, I need something that will not bind or feel soggy for 8 hours, so I ordered a pair of Minus33 Merino Wool 1114 Men’s Woolverino Micro Boxer Shorts for $39.99.

https://amzn.to/3iXim1o
Now before anyone gets gets anything bunched up (heh!), I want to point out that I wear wool socks all year for their moisture wicking and lack of wadding up in my work boots. If you are like me, you've seen a bazillion Facebook ads for wool T-shirts that won't smell and feel great, even if you wear them for a week. I don't know anyone who purchased from those ads, but I do know several people who have these wool blend shorts. Based on their recommendations, I ordered some.

From the Amazon ad:
  • wool
  • Imported
  • QUALITY LIGHTWEIGHT BASELAYER: Woolverino designed for "First-On-Last-Off" extreme comfort quality active wear. The best in easy care technology means your merino wool is machine washable and dryable. Minus33 briefs naturally wick moisture and control odor.
  • CRAFTED TO FIT: Sizes S to 2XL Regular Fit. Outfitting anyone from the active athlete to the comfortable couch-potato.
  • EXPERIENCED BRAND: Although there are many copy-cats on the market today, Minus33 has been a trusted brand since 2004.
  • IMPORTED: As the legacy of a 100+ year old USA based woolen company, Minus33 knows quality and comfort in Merino Wool. We are committed to bringing you the best Merino Wool products at a reasonable price.
  • TECHNICAL DETAILS: 84% 17.5 Micron Merino Wool, 12% Nylon, 4% Spandex 150 g/m2 Jersey knit construction with flatlock seam. UPF Rating 40
If you read the description carefully, there is one bit of information that seems very odd to me and I wonder if anyone else finds it peculiar too.*

Now for the other part that has me feeling a bit light-headed (and I'm sitting down): the price! Yes, double WOW from me, too! When compared to the DriFit T-shirts that I wear these boxers are more expensive (but not by much) and I believe they will be worth the price in the long run. 

Since boxer shorts are not a priority product, Prime Shipping will have them to my front door on Saturday and I will do a review as soon as I possible. 
* UPF stands for Ultraviolet Protection Factor and is a rating system to indicate the UV (Ultraviolet) protection provided by fabrics. Why does underwear need to block UV light?
Recap And Takeaway
  • Being comfortable at work means not only do I feel better, but I should also be able to do more work with less stress.
  • I ordered two of the Minus33 Merino Wool Boxers from Amazon for $39.99 with the new slower Prime shipping.
* * *

Just a reminder: if you plan on buying anything through Amazon, please consider using our referral link. When you do, a portion of the sale comes back here to help keep this site running!

If you have comments, suggestions or corrections, please post them so we all can learn. And remember, Some Is Always Better Than None!

NOTE: All items tested were purchased by me. No products have been loaned in exchange for a favorable review. Any items sent to me for T&E will be listed as such. Suck it Feds.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Fine Print


This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution- Noncommercial- No Derivative Works 3.0 License.

Creative Commons License


Erin Palette is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.