Wednesday, March 10, 2021

Prudent Prepping: Course Change

The dust has settled and the First 72 Hours have passed. Follow along as I build a long term plan via Prudent Prepping.

I've written my posts here at Blue Collar Prepping with the idea of making all my preps for myself first, and then to take care of those around me. However, that is about to change: the Purple Pack Lady seems to be here in my life for the long run. She has supplies for staying in her place but nothing for camping, hiking or bugging out. I've got her car prepped for problems with a first aid kit and a good flashlight, some outdoor clothing, and rain gear, with a good pair of boots or shoes I'll be suggesting next. 

Just suggesting, okay? I'm dealing with a well educated, smart, city dweller who buys lots of things and has firm opinions on what needs to be purchased... for me. I've had skinny jeans brought home (wrong size, luckily), shirts (ditto), and three nice fleece that did fit, so we are learning.

What made a bit of difference was mentioning that I would like to return the favor and bring home clothes for her that I would pick out. Needless to say, this was not met with happiness and joy. I was told "I like [certain brands] because they fit me, and how could you possibly know what sizes and colors I like?" After a bit of me staring back with raised eyebrows, there was an actual Lightbulb Moment, similar to what you'd see in a cartoon. My point was made, politely and gently. 

What's Next?
We are going to visit several outdoor oriented stores starting with REI, since there is one close to me, and after that a Bass Pro which is a bit more than an hour away. 

On the list:
  • Sleeping bag and pad. 
  • Rain gear, type to be determined.
  • outdoor shoes and my preference is boots of some type
  • Fishing gear! She grew up fishing and I won't have any difficulty pointing her to that equipment!
I am still keeping most of the prepping gear with me, but as more personalized equipment is purchased, there will need to be a decision on where most things need to be stored and how to divide them. I now need to figure out what non-perishable things to suggest buying first, as she is onboard with preparing for emergencies.

Recap and Takeaway
  • Nothing was purchased this week, and with the possibility of big ticket items on the shopping list, I don't plan on anything being purchased next week either. 
  • I may not have the Final Word on that.
  • Having an understanding and compatible partner makes everything easier. 
* * *

Just a reminder: if you plan on buying anything through Amazon, please consider using our referral link. When you do, a portion of the sale comes back here to help keep this site running!

If you have comments, suggestions or corrections, please post them so we all can learn. And remember, Some Is Always Better Than None!

NOTE: All items tested were purchased by me. No products have been loaned in exchange for a favorable review. Any items sent to me for T&E will be listed as such. Suck it Feds.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Fine Print


This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution- Noncommercial- No Derivative Works 3.0 License.

Creative Commons License


Erin Palette is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.