Saturday, November 18, 2023

Prepper's Hygiene: Cremo Shave Cream for your BOB

The dust has settled and the First 72 Hours have passed. Follow along as I build a long term plan via Prudent Prepping. 

I don't do many Product Tests outside of camping or prepping related gear, but this is one of those times, as this product is in my Get Home Bag and in the Bug Out Bag pile of stuff that will go into the trunk of the car. I've written about having several personal care items, like toothpaste and a very good liquid soap, in my BOB. When I was younger and single, shaving every day wasn't so important, and when hiking or camping I didn't shave. a at all. Now that I'm older, not single anymore, and The Purple Pack lady has sensitive skin, shaving has become more important to me so I have Cremo Barber Grade Original Shave Cream in my preps. 

https://amzn.to/3szR1wX 
 From the Amazon ad:
  • Impossibly slick formula fights nicks, irritation and razor burn
  • Gives you a close, comfortable shave
  • Original formula with a subtle citrus scent
  • 90-day supply, which lasts longer than average shave cream/gel
  • Rich and concentrated cream made with high quality ingredients including Macadamia Seed Oil, Aloe, Calendula Extract, Lemon Extract, Papaya Extract, and Olive Leaf Extract. Paraben Free. Not tested on animals

I was pointed to this brand several years ago by a fellow sales rep when I forgot to pack whatever can of goo I was using at the time. I was converted that week to this wonderful product. I've tried many different brands, from aerosols to other tube-type creams, and this is my favorite. 

What makes this so different, and in my opinion a superior aid to shaving? Several points:
  1. Since this is a non-aerosol, you can put it in your carry-on bag.
  2. A 6oz. tube can last several months.
  3. You don't need to use very much per shave; no more than an almond-sized squeeze will work just fine for the average male face. 
One thing I do need to mention is that your face needs to be wet for Cremo to spread evenly. I mean really wet, to the point of "water dripping off it" wet. To use it, I put the hottest water I can stand on the area to be shaved for 30 seconds to one minute, then squeeze out the needed amount and spread evenly on my skin. 

I find that wetting my hands several times helps to get everything smoothed out well. Since there isn't a 3/8" layer of foam on your skin, putting a little water on your fingers and re-activating Creamo ahead of your next area to shave helps to prevent razor burn. When I'm out of town and not directly responsible for the utility bills, I shave in the shower, which helps keep my skin wet and the Cremo smooth. 

Another difference from traditional canned shaving creams is that Cremo doesn't foam or fluff up when applied, but instead gets sort of slippery as more water is added. Since it isn't fluffy, you'll need to rinse your razor more than you normally think is needed. I use a Schick razor and my beard is not heavy by any measure,  but the razor needs to be rinsed 5-6 times while shaving.

I can't recommend this shave cream any higher than to say that my wife borrows it and keeps a travel size tube in her makeup kit!

Recap and Takeaway
  • Look at this shave cream if you aren't satisfied with your current brand and look at the whole family of products. I'm not sure a Mango shave cream is necessary, but it is your choice and your money! I stick with the original version, as certain fragrances and chemicals give me a rash.
  • The original scent is available in 1oz and 6oz sizes. Sorry, everything else is 6 oz only.
  • Purchased a 6 oz tube of Cremo Barber Grade Original Formula from Amazon, $6.99 with Prime. (Actually I buy a 2 pack, since I know how it works!)

* * *

Just a reminder: if you plan on buying anything through Amazon, please consider using our referral link. When you do, a portion of the sale comes back here to help keep this site running!
 
If you have comments, suggestions or corrections, please post them so we all can learn. And remember, Some Is Always Better Than None!

NOTE: All items tested were purchased by me. No products have been loaned in exchange for a favorable review. Any items sent to me for T&E will be listed as such. Suck it Feds.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Fine Print


This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution- Noncommercial- No Derivative Works 3.0 License.

Creative Commons License


Erin Palette is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.