Monday, August 24, 2015

BCP Skills Challenge: Some Prizes

& is used with permission.
As a follow-up to my Skill Challenge post, here are just some of the prizes which can be won:















Starting from the top:
  • Adjustable wrench multi-tool from Husky with blade, saw, pliers and bit driver. It's just a bit too bulky and heavy to carry on my belt, but could be a good fit for someone with a toolbelt. Alternately, it could fit nicely in your car's toolbox.  Comes with nylon pouch. 
  • Puuko knife by Kellam Knives of Finland. A very sharp knife with and adjustable plastic sheathe. Never used; its slick plastic handle and lack of any substantial finger guard makes me uncomfortable. 
  • NRA-branded flashlight with "tactical striking surfaces" front and back. Takes 2 AA batteries, not included. It's an okay flashlight (not very bright and beam isn't adjustable), but it's a pretty blue color not found in nature and made from machined aluminum. Use it to store dry tinder, or mash edibles into paste with the striking surfaces. 
  • Mora Classic #1. 4-inch blade, carbon steel. This has been used some, but gently, and has the marks to prove it. Be aware that carbon steel rusts easily. Ask me how I know this
  • Foldable credit card knife. This made the rounds a year or two ago in prepper circles, and I bought it as a curiosity. The blade is all right -- reasonably sharp, but I don't know what it's made from, likely 420 steel. I don't know how durable the plastic is, though, especially along the folds. I have my doubts it will hold up under stress, but if you need a "use once, then throw away" knife, like for a trauma kit, this ought to do the trick. 
  • Nite Ize Tool HolsterNothing wrong with it; just too bulky to fit comfortably on my belt. Great for securely holding items like flip phone, mp3 players, etc. 
  • Fire Keeper. Basically a kydex sheath for a Bic lighter with a paracord lanyard. I prefer to carry my lighters in other ways, but a good gift to someone who uses one a lot, like a smoker. 
  • Wallet Ninja. 18 tools in one card. I found it rather awkward to use and a bit too thick to comfortably carry in a pocket or a wallet. On the other hand, it's supposed to be TSA-approved. 
There will be more prizes listed later. 

Get cracking on those articles, folks! You have until January 2nd, 2016 to submit yours.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Fine Print


This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution- Noncommercial- No Derivative Works 3.0 License.

Creative Commons License


Erin Palette is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.