Wednesday, February 17, 2016

Prudent Prepping: Return of the Bag

The dust has settled and the First 72 Hours have passed. Now we concentrate on what to do in, and how to plan for, the long term via Prudent Prepping.

After Erin's segment on The Gun Blog Variety Podcast (a show you should be following) where she discussed her EDC carry items and the novel container that is used, I thought it was time to return to my EDC bag and give an update on what is going on. Lokidude also thought to post on his bag, so it appears we may have started a theme week!

My Bag
As mentioned in my previous post, I am using a 5.11 Rush Moab 6 to carry my work tools. After two months of regular use, this is my report: I really, really like it! Everything fits with plenty of room to spare, I can't easily overload it, and carrying it regularly it is very comfortable.

Lokidude mentioned he would like more MOLLE attachment points on his bag, while I would like less! I wanted this bag to be as generic as possible, but the only way to get the storage and quality I really needed was to go tactical, and 5.11 was one of the only brands to allow left-or-right side carry of a sling bag.

Contents
My previous EDC post is no longer accurate, as I have changed my daily carry arrangement with some items coming out and a few different items going in.

Outer Compartment

    • I'm now bringing my tablet to work for lunchtime reading and have retired my Nook to use at home, mostly reading in bed. 
    • The SIIG light/backup battery is the biggest change, as I now have a way to charge all my electronics. 
      Tablet, Bluetooth, iPod, SIIG backup battery/flashlight
    • I have a larger notebook than before, but the small Rite in the Rain stays the same, as does the write-anywhere pen
    • Inexpensive 'cheater' reading glasses. 
    • A standard utility knife is in the bag now, replacing the auto-retract model. 
    • Small flashlight. 
    • A spare Zebra pen and pencil; cheap stick pen; two pencils; wide tip magic marker; and a small amount of duct tape wound on the second pencil. 
    All of the items shown above are very easily stored in the designated pockets and slots.


    Center Compartment
    • A very small First Aid kit, with triple antibiotic and band-aid assortment.
    • Sugar-free mints, to fix coffee breath.
    • Ibuprofen.
    • Floss.
    • Emergen-C vitamin packets
    • Spare shoelaces.
    • Two half-liter water bottles.
    • Something to snack on.
    • A small bottle of hand sanitizer, which just ran out and needs to be replaced. 
    This pocket is also large enough to carry all my paperwork and plans for the week without becoming overstuffed, which is important since when I'm working, my bag is usually kept in a basket that holds my large tools: pliers, pry bar, hammer, mallet and drill.

    Stash Pocket
    The extra center pocket that might be used for concealed carry in states other than California is not used by me, because California.

    The Takeaway
    • I really need to see and feel items to be able to make wise shopping decisions. Online pictures can't give me enough info to make wise choices. 
    • Brand names don't guarantee quality, but they can certainly point you in the right direction.

    Recap
    None of the items shown were purchased for this blog post, but the featured items were:
      Just a reminder: if you plan on buying anything through Amazon, please consider using our referral link. When you do, a portion of the sale comes back here to help keep this site running! 

      On a Personal Note
      I need to note that last week was my 100th post to Blue Collar Prepping, a milestone I never thought I'd reach. I am not a writer, and if the things you read under my name look and sound coherent, it is from the endless work of our Editor.

      Thank you, Erin. (You're welcome, David. -- Editor)


      If you have comments, suggestions or corrections, please post them so we all can learn. And remember, Some Is Always Better Than None!

      NOTE: All items tested were purchased by me. No products have been loaned in exchange for a favorable review. Any items sent to me for T&E will be listed as such. Suck it Feds.

      No comments:

      Post a Comment

      The Fine Print


      This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution- Noncommercial- No Derivative Works 3.0 License.

      Creative Commons License


      Erin Palette is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.