Wednesday, February 3, 2016

Prudent Prepping: People Keep On Giving

The dust has settled and the First 72 Hours have passed. Now we concentrate on what to do in, and how to plan for, the long term via Prudent Prepping.

A Short Note
In the blog post Gimme Shelter two weeks ago, I mentioned my complete lack of a tent and the problems I have finding one. That may be coming to an end soon! A friend has a tent stored in their car as an emergency shelter that could fill my needs. Weather has to even out to make setup possible to check condition, since it has not been erected for several years. Both of us think the tent might be marginally heavy for back packing trips, but for my requirements (read-low $ and 2 person) I am happy!

We're just waiting on decent weather, since setting up a tent, having it get wet and then trying to find a place to let it dry before putting it away can be difficult.

Now on to the main topic:

People Are Wonderful
I actually had my wishes followed this Christmas and did not receive anything other than greeting cards. What I neglected to say was I also didn't want any presents for my birthday, which is the end of January-ish. I am constantly surprised at the contrariness of friends and family and how things need to be spelled out as if I'm writing a contract or putting limits on my kids. Loopholes and omissions will be exploited like, well, a teenager with a full tank of gas in Mom's car and a vague curfew.

This brings up my Birthday gift from my local Gear Nut. I have several Sea To Summit products in my gear, from their spork and knife, collapsible silicone bowl, companion collapsible cup and knife, fork and spoon set. To that I have added the X-Pot/Kettle, thanks to my friend.

Sea To Summit X-Pot/Kettle
  • The X-Pot / Kettle is a tiny addition to your cook kit, collapsing to 1.375 in. (35mm) with a 0.8-liter safe boiling capacity 
  • Combines the heat-distribution of aluminum with the flexibility of silicone for great cooking performance and amazing space savings 
  • Lightweight and durable 6063-T6, hard-anodized aluminum base allows a fast boil time, and the tall silicone walls make stirring easy 
  • Food-grade, heat-resistant silicone walls 
  • Translucent lid gives visibility to what's cooking and helps to drain the water off your pasta 
  • 2 glass-reinforced nylon handles 
  • X-Cups and X-Mugs (not included) will nest inside the X-Pot / Kettle 
  • Not for use on a campfire or open flame 
  • Hand wash only; do not wash in a dishwasher
Not visible or mentioned are the measuring markings molded into the side of the pot, both in ounces and liters. Printed on the bottom of the pot are the usual photographic directions for safe use, but I'm not sure how well the printing will last after use on a camp stove. Also printed in a ring around the outer edge of the pot is a warning in multiple languages not to allow flames to go past the edge of the aluminum bottom, since the silicone will melt or catch on fire. As mentioned above, this pot is NOT RECOMMENDED for use on anything other than a camp stove. The directions show  liquid gas/canister stoves, but I think an Esbit will be acceptable. Tests will be done later this year.

The Takeaway
  • Light weight, compact and versatile pot combo to add to my GHB. 
  • Filled to the Safe Cooking line (approx. 3.5 Cups), this pot will hold enough water to activate two freeze-dried meal packages.
  • My collapsible cup will fit inside the pot. simplifying organization in a potentially stressful situation. 
    Recap
    As a reminder, any purchases made from Amazon through the links in this blog help pay for this site and do not increase your cost one penny!

    If you have comments, suggestions or corrections, please post them so we all can learn. And remember, Some Is Always Better Than None!

    NOTE: All items tested were purchased by me. No products have been loaned in exchange for a favorable review. Any items sent to me for T&E will be listed as such. Suck it Feds.

    No comments:

    Post a Comment

    The Fine Print


    This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution- Noncommercial- No Derivative Works 3.0 License.

    Creative Commons License


    Erin Palette is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.