Wednesday, August 3, 2016

Prudent Prepping: More of Something Entirely Different

The dust has settled and the First 72 Hours have passed. Now we concentrate on what to do in, and how to plan for, the long term via Prudent Prepping.

With Operation Blazing Sword continually growing, the chance to learn and try some different things recently presented itself. While I cannot use this here in California, what is shown here could be useful for people in Free States.

Off-Body Carry
If you read many of the popular authors and magazines who address the ways to carry a concealed weapon, carrying off-body (in a tactical bag or purse and not in a holster on your person) is a less than popular option. However, there may be times, places or situations when on-body carry isn't feasible, such as:
  • Dress codes that do not allow loose clothing, un-tucked shirts or similar styles. 
  • A physical stature that might limit what could be concealed, for shorter, slightly-built people. 
  • Working conditions where a concealed weapon will interfere with your movement or ability to complete tasks. 
A friend was dealing with some of these issues, and so he decided to use a 5.11 Tactical Rush 10 bag to carry his gear. But while setting up its Carry Compartment with a way to secure his pistol and a magazine using a Maxpedition Sneak holster, a problem popped up:
How in the world do you get a Velcro-backed strap into a bag easily without accidentally sticking it to the sides, over and over and over again?
There was no problem with the size of the gun; just a problem placing everything correctly.
 
Dollar bill for scale

I foolishly didn't take pictures during this project, but after helping out, a Sneak of my own showed up on my doorstep. I talked about my EDC bag and what I don't carry in this post. I still don't carry what others do (because California), but having that option is always good.

Since my sling bag is smaller than my friend's, and would be potentially carrying a larger weapon (IF I could carry, that is), even more headaches were generated. I can't take clear pictures of what the inside of my bag looks like and how the 'holster' fits, but things did work out successfully.

Sig Sauer P220 and magazine

Here's what I ended up doing:
  1. I put a piece of paper into the pocket.
  2. I placed my holster on the paper, which prevented the Velcro from connecting until I had everything positioned where I thought it would go. 
  3. I then slipped the paper out of the way and allowed the wonders of Velcro to do its magic.
After making this wondrous discovery and talking to another friend in a Free State (Hi, Mike!), I was told this is a trick almost as old as Velcro itself and fairly well known to certain groups.

The Takeaway
  • Always be adaptable and ask friends for advice. The wheel was not invented last week, but don't assume everyone got that memo. 
  • I'm lucky to have such good friends. 
The Recap

Just a reminder: if you plan on buying anything through Amazon, please consider using our referral link. When you do, a portion of the sale comes back here to help keep this site running!

If you have comments, suggestions or corrections, please post them so we all can learn. And remember, Some Is Always Better Than None!

NOTE: All items tested were purchased by me. No products have been loaned in exchange for a favorable review. Any items sent to me for T&E will be listed as such. Suck it Feds.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Fine Print


This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution- Noncommercial- No Derivative Works 3.0 License.

Creative Commons License


Erin Palette is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.