Wednesday, August 17, 2016

Prudent Prepping: Bugging Out

The dust has settled and the First 72 Hours have passed. Now we concentrate on what to do in, and how to plan for, the long term via Prudent Prepping.

My weekend camping trip has been pushed back yet again, due to another wildfire* near the lake and campground where my friends and I were going to stay.

With this fire, and the flooding in Baton Rouge, it seemed a good time to go over my Bug Out plans.

Bugging Out: Are You Ready?
I've written about bugging out in this post, with several links to my co-bloggers embedded in it. I feel quite lucky that I live in the suburbs and in a very mild, semi-arid area. I don't have to worry much about flooding in a normal year -- or even in a heavy rainfall year. My part of California averages not quite 17 inches of rain a year, with the one-day record of almost 7". I know, I know, several of you can see 17 inches in a week, so this is why I put the information up: I'm not going to float away any time soon. I just don't see any difference in what needs to be done in the face of a flood compared to what needs to be done in the face of a fire.

FIRE!
Unlike flooding, fire is a possibility for me. This post has a link to the Oakland/Berkeley Hills fire of 1991 and suggestions on suburban safety. I've continued to keep gutters clear of leaves and trimmed bushes as much as possible but this is not my house, so I can't do as much as I'd like to keep debris away.

Since the Failed Trip of Summer has been pushed back so often, my gear has been gone over several times in preparation to leaving one Friday afternoon. As this keeps happening, my gear gets fiddled with, changed and moved around waiting for good weather and no smoky air. Since we're driving to the campground (in theory), this seems like a good time to see whether I can get things into my truck as if it is Bug Out time.

In a dry run last Friday, all my camping gear, a water jug, bucket of food and other supplies were easily grabbed and stacked by the front door in less than 5 minutes. I feel confident everything on my Prepping Gear list can be moved out in under 15 minutes. If I happen to be at work, the Master Chief has keys and knows where the supplies (and "stuff and things") are located and can move all of it to a safe place until I get home.

Practicing and reviewing your plans with your family, friends and your circle is required, no matter where you live. It could be what saves you and your friend's lives.


* There has been an arrest in the continuing arson fires in the area we want to camp! This may also be the same person who set the large fires over the last two years!
 


The Takeaway
  • Practice what we all preach: get ready, be ready, and tell your friends to do the same. 
  • Plan your plan, but don't be afraid to modify it if necessary. 
  • Store your gear where it is safe , but is also easy to grab and move in an emergency. 

The Recap
Nothing was purchased this week, and nothing is planned for next week. I have found some food items in my stores that are close to their artificially short 'Sell By' dates that will be removed and donated to the local food bank. What could possibly be better than helping others and yourself?


Just a reminder: if you plan on buying anything through Amazon, please consider using our referral link. When you do, a portion of the sale comes back here to help keep this site running!

If you have comments, suggestions or corrections, please post them so we all can learn. And remember, Some Is Always Better Than None!

NOTE: All items tested were purchased by me. No products have been loaned in exchange for a favorable review. Any items sent to me for T&E will be listed as such. Suck it Feds.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Fine Print


This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution- Noncommercial- No Derivative Works 3.0 License.

Creative Commons License


Erin Palette is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.