Saturday, October 1, 2016

The Foldable Carbine

Not actually Erin.
& is used with permission.
This post was originally going to be a notification that the Palmetto State Armory had Kel-Tec Sub-2000 carbines on sale this weekend, along with an exhortation for you to buy one because I have one and I really like it.

However, it turns out that the S2K is very popular, because a sale which started today (9/30) and was slated to run through October 3 sold out nearly immediately.

But I don't really want to write another article from scratch, so I'm just going to talk about why the Sub-2000, especially the 9mm version which takes Glock magazines, is a great firearm for preppers.

I reviewed the S2K 5 years ago, and after years of use and thousands of rounds through it*, it's still running well. It's nicely accurate with the stock sights but pairs nicely with a red dot optic (one of the first accessories I'd recommend), the recoil is mild, and the extra barrel length allows more propellant to burn which makes the 9mm rounds fly faster and hit harder.

This gun should be of interest to preppers for two main reasons:
  1. It folds in half for easy storage, meaning you can throw it into a Bug-Out Bag or use it as a "truck gun". There's even a dust cover accessory you can purchase to keep crud out of the internals while it's stored. It deploys quickly and easily (although if you want an optic you'll either need to use a quick-detach system or an aftermarket rotating railed forend.

    https://www.keltecweapons.com/rifles/sub-2000/
  2. It fires the most common defensive pistol cartridge (9mm) while using the most common pistol magazines (Glock).  This means that feeding your gun and it's easy to find replacement magazines. Additionally, the 33-round extended Glock magazines which look ridiculous on a pistol become downright sensible in a carbine like this, and if you're feeling adventurous you can use a 50-round drum

It is worth noting that the S2K I have is the Generation 1 design, which I have modified quite heavily by adding rails, a better front sight, and other assorted goodies. The version which PSA is was selling the Generation 2, which includes many of the common upgrades I and others made to our Gen 1s.

What? I like putting stuff on my guns. 

I have not had the pleasure of firing a Gen2, but I have handled it extensively (I believe the technical term is "coonfingered") and I'm pleased with the upgrades they made. I think the upper rail ought to extend all the way back to the rear sight, but otherwise I have no complaints.

https://www.keltecweapons.com/rifles/sub-2000/

Other than a red dot optic, the other "must have" upgrade for any Sub-2000 owner is the Extended Operating Handle from Twisted Industries. As you can see in the above picture, the stock handle is a rod that you crook your index finger around, and putting that amount of tension on one finger is something that I found quite uncomfortable. TI's two-finger design provides a much more pleasant experience, and for $25 it's an affordable upgrade. A more extensive review of it may be found here.

http://twisted.industries/product/sub2000-operating-handle/

In my experience, the Kel-Tec Sub-2000 is an affordable, accurate, fun little gun that is easy to feed and will fit just about anywhere. If you don't have one, consider adding it to your gun safe.


* I'm not sure how many rounds total; my gun isn't a safe queen, but neither do I run it hard. I put at least 500 rounds through it per year, though.


FTC Disclaimer: I wasn't paid to say any of this. I just really like these products. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Fine Print


This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution- Noncommercial- No Derivative Works 3.0 License.

Creative Commons License


Erin Palette is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.