My boss has moved me to a different territory, which more than doubles my mileage and comes close to tripling my commute time since I will be traveling through major cities and crossing bridges every day. Now I have to configure my Get Home Bag for being away from home for more than two days.
Changes In My Get Home Bag
In last week's post, I mentioned a long sleeve t-shirt being added. That is now supplemented with extra wool socks, a full pack of Esbit fuel tabs for the stove, 4 liters of water (counting the two in the truck) and extra packets of coffee. I normally have about 4 days of food in the pack; if I don't have time to pack a lunch, I eat the soup/chili or tuna and crackers, plus whatever leftover condiment packs I get when I'm out. (Don't judge me, I'm single.)
- 2 cans of tuna
- 4 packages of instant oatmeal
- 10 packages of instant coffee
- Three cans of chili
- Ziploc bag with restaurant salt, pepper, sugar, salsa and P51 can opener
- Sea To Summit Knife and Spork
- Ziploc bag with wooden matches, toilet paper, Bic lighter, and dryer lint in a separate bag inside TP core.
- First aid kit with band aids, alcohol swabs, sterile eye wash, gauze pads, tape, triple antibiotic cream, aspirin and Tylenol
- Four 500ml water bottles (sealed & disposable bottles, not nalgene)
- Esbit stove and fuel
- LifeStraw water filter
- MSR Stowaway 1 liter pot with Sea To Summit collapsible cup inside.
- Mini Light My Fire fire starter
- SOL Survival blanket
- 2 pair wool socks, poncho, regular and long sleeve T shirts (extra pants and jeans are in my truck)
Just a reminder: if you plan on buying anything through Amazon, please consider using our referral link. When you do, a portion of the sale comes back here to help keep this site running!
If you have comments, suggestions or corrections, please post them so we all can learn. And remember, Some Is Always Better Than None!
NOTE: All items tested were purchased by me. No products have been loaned in exchange for a favorable review. Any items sent to me for T&E will be listed as such. Suck it Feds.