Friday, September 25, 2020

Product Review: Fuzion Digital Pocket Scale

Not actually Erin.
& is used with permission.
I recently had a mix-up with my ammunition supplies where I could not tell the difference between several magazines' worth of 55 grain .223 ammo and several others magazines' worth of 40 grain .223 ammo. In order to sort out this issue I decided to invest in a digital scale.

I will admit that digital scales aren't specifically prepping items; they are fragile and electronic and you will rarely need precise weight measurements of small objects in a disaster scenario. I do however consider it a prepping adjacent item; in this case, a tool which enables me to prepare more effectively. In my case, I use it to weigh ammunition; bullet weight is an important factor in ballistics, and unfortunately that data is not written on each cartridge. If I were into reloading ammunition I would definitely weigh every cartridge I loaded to insure I hadn't accidentally used too much or too little powder. I'm certain there are other uses for such scale for people who perform precision crafting/repair work or who engage in ultralight camping.

Whatever your hobbies, I'm sure there have been times when you wanted a precise measurement of something that's too small to be weighed on a bathroom scale. To that end I recommend to you the Fuzion Digital Pocket Scale ($17.99 at Amazon with Prime shipping).

https://amzn.to/2S1aFfs
 

What I like about it:
  • Affordable
  • 4.6 stars out of 5 on Amazon with 1,550 ratings
  • Has a 50 gram weight for calibration
  • Comes with batteries (not essential, but a nice gesture)
  • Has a tare function
  • Measures in 6 separate units: grams, ounces, grains, carats, pennyweights (dwt) and troy ounces (ozt).
That last point is what really sealed the deal for me; I specifically needed a scale which measured in grains. I don't really need to measure anything in carats, pennyweights and troy ounces, but it's nice to know that I can if I want.

What I dislike about it:
  • The magnet does not adequately secure the lid closed
  • Doesn't seem rugged enough for the "pocket" claim. 
I would never, ever put this in my pocket. I would, however, feel comfortable putting this inside a briefcase or other piece of luggage and expect it to survive the trip. If you plan to do this, please do not throw away the piece of foam which stabilizes the weight table for shipping!

My Recommendation: A+
If you need an affordable digital scale which only measures to two decimal points and can measure up to 200 grams (7 ounces), then you can't go wrong with this small, affordable scale. Just don't toss it into your backpack or tuck it into your jeans pocket. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Fine Print


This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution- Noncommercial- No Derivative Works 3.0 License.

Creative Commons License


Erin Palette is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.