Wednesday, September 2, 2020

Prudent Prepping: August Roundup

The dust has settled and the First 72 Hours have passed. Follow along as I build a long term plan via Prudent Prepping.

As is my usual excuse, I've got several things to discuss and either there isn't enough info to expand the topic up to a full post or I'm still gathering my thoughts, which lately will fit easily into a Dixie Cup. The small size.

What's First
I mentioned my temporary relocation for work, how amazingly hot the location and work is, and what I'm trying to do to survive and work comfortably in this post. Unfortunately (but not unexpected), the shorts I ordered are delayed even longer than shown. I will not receive the Minus33 shorts until Friday, if I'm lucky, so what I did was to go looking for another previously recommended brand: Woolly Clothing Men's Merino Wool Classic Boxer.

https://amzn.to/2EFHLhe
Now I haven't anything to compare these wool boxers to other than my cotton ones, and while it has not been as hot as last week, I really like the feel of these!

Some info from the Amazon ad:
  • [ 100% 150 GSM 17.5 micron Australian merino wool ]
  • [ ULTRALIGHT CLASSIC BOXER ] Flatlock seams, tagless interior, double tough high-wear zones, soft elastic jacquard. Full merino construction for extra stretch, odor resistance, moisture wicking, itch free, 4-season comfort.
  • [ CASUAL FIT FOR COMFY DAILY WEAR ] These boxers will keep you comfy during work, play, leisure, travel, and workouts. Ultralight merino in a classic boxer cut, made for all climates and pursuits.
  • [ PICTURED MODEL STATS ] 5'10'' // 155 lbs // 30'' waist. Wearing size small.
  • [ MERINO PERFORMANCE FOUNDATION LIFESTYLE WEAR ] Woolly pairs the nature proven benefits of merino with classic everyday styles that work anywhere. Enjoy the no-odor, anti-microbial, fire resistant, moisture wicking, and long wearing comfort of merino in every aspect of your life.
  • [ BACKED BY THE WOOLLY PROMISE ] We like to keep things simple. If you are ever dissatisfied with our gear, at any time, just give us a shout and we'll work to make it right.
The Initial Good
The feel of these is hard to describe, since I've worn cotton boxers for, well, a really long time! There is an almost silk-like feel to the fabric, but not slippery. When thoroughly sweaty, the Woolly Shorts didn't bunch up, get sticky or feel clammy if I sat down for lunch and cooled off some. They are also cheaper than the other brand.

The Initial 'Eh, But Waiting For More Info'
The sizing of the Woolly boxers leaves me a little bit undecided, since I fit right between the Medium and Large recommendation. I ordered the Large and while I like them, I'm unsure if I want to keep them. The cut is wider than my existing boxers and I'm not sure how the elastic in the waistband will last in the long term, since these start out bigger than what I have now. I will make a decision when (if) the originally ordered brand shows up.

About Those Amazon Orders...
I recently placed an order for some CLP, since the local gun store was out and the next closest retail gun store had a location burglarized and is closed. There was no delay shown for the CLP, and here is my 4oz. tube of Break-Free CLP-4 Cleaner Lubricant Preservative.
Yes, that's what the box says!
Yes, I got my 4oz tube all right, along with 11 that I really don't need! Even figuring the fact that I seem to lose oils and lubes before I use them up into the equation, I'm looking at well over a lifetime supply, maybe longer.

There are many different lubes out there, but I was looking for something that would thicken or get stiff very slowly, since several items I want to clean and then re-oil don't see a lot of use.

From the Amazon ad:
  • Penetrates and spreads along metal surfaces into every pit and crevice to undercut contamination and lift residue away where it can be removed.
  • Long-lasting lubricating film dramatically reduces adhesion of sand, grit or other abrasives which cause wear and failure.
  • Corrosion inhibitors prevent the formation of rust while Break-Free's unique boundary film protects metal surfaces from moisture and other contaminants.
  • Specially formulated synthetic oils won't lose viscosity, dry out or stiffen up in extreme environments - such as cold, heat, dust, dirt, humidity and even salt air - keeping equipment in ready condition for months at a time.
  • It has been proven to preform in temperatures ranging from -65F to +475F and after saltwater immersion
If I follow the recommended amounts, I think this matches what I need.

Recap And Takeaway
  • So far I'm really happy with the Woolly Boxers... other than the fit. I'm keeping them until I can compare my first order. Two pair of Woolly Boxers ordered from Amazon: $29.99 with Prime.
  • Yes, CLP is what I need, but only one bottle. Yes, I am contacting Amazon about the mis-shipped product. Karma seems to have me on Speed Dial, so it is going back. One bottle (and only one!) of CLP 4 ordered from Amazon: $7.58 with Prime.
* * *

Just a reminder: if you plan on buying anything through Amazon, please consider using our referral link. When you do, a portion of the sale comes back here to help keep this site running!

If you have comments, suggestions or corrections, please post them so we all can learn. And remember, Some Is Always Better Than None!

NOTE: All items tested were purchased by me. No products have been loaned in exchange for a favorable review. Any items sent to me for T&E will be listed as such. Suck it Feds.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Fine Print


This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution- Noncommercial- No Derivative Works 3.0 License.

Creative Commons License


Erin Palette is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.