Monday, March 23, 2015

Bugs!

(Waits for some of the heebie jeebies to die down.)

Look, I'm not a fan of them, either.

As many readers may know, DR and I had a big move to Arizona. Well... the new apartment has cockroaches. We haven't been able to determine if they came with us (because storage places are not obligated to spray for bugs), or if they migrated over from another apartment in the complex.

Regardless, I figured it was a good idea to lay out some itchy truth about pests like cockroaches, fleas and bedbugs.

(Waits again.)

To be blunt: They are going to be a source of physical pain and mental strain.  once the SHTF in any kind of way. So how do you deal with them when you can't call the exterminator?

Allow me to present you with two options.
  1. Diatomaceous Earth works against all bugs with an exoskeleton by absorbing the oils from it, causing them to dry out and die.  I've seen it take out flea problems and it also works on bedbugs. The amorphous type (as opposed to crystalline) is also completely safe for humans, and can even be eaten! Trust me, this is getting bought and laid down in a few key areas to deal with the cockroaches here.
  2. Sevin Dust works just as well as the above, but is cheaper (D.E. is expensive) and so it's better suited to be used outdoors. However, it's based on a chemical that's toxic to humans, and there are reports that it can be harmful to pets, so be cautious with it, and don't use it indoors!
There are a variety of citrus-based homemade remedies that also work, but these two solutions are very easy to get and easy to store. I've used both and they both work equally well.


And Now For Something Completely Different

Now that I've moved out of California, I have a sewing machine again. If anyone has a topic they'd like me to tackle regarding sewing, crocheting or knitting --  questions about preps, seeing if  an odd idea can be done, etc - I'm the woman to ask! Please feel to drop requests about such projects on our Facebook Group, by email, or leave a comment here on the page.

Why am I putting that out there? Because there are a lot of things I do as a part of my everyday life that are normal for me yet would be prepping info for you guys, but because it's everyday for me, I don't even stop to think about it. So this is me stopping to think, and offering to teach.

Have at it, darlings!

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Fine Print


This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution- Noncommercial- No Derivative Works 3.0 License.

Creative Commons License


Erin Palette is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.