Wednesday, May 13, 2015

Prudent Prepping: EDC for my Work

The dust has settled and the First 72 Hours have passed. Now we concentrate  on what to do in, and how to plan for, the long term via Prudent Prepping.


My EDC Option


I need to carry a very small selection of items for my work: pens, small notebook, 4-in-1 screwdriver, flashlight, multi-tool and a razor knife at a minimum. I also need to carry a netbook/e-reader sized device occasionally, so to keep me from looking like an over-aged college student with a giant backpack or book bag, I went shopping!

What I found is this: the Maxpedition Remora Gearslinger for as little as $79 on Amazon.

Remora with B&N Nook
From the Maxpedition website:

"A low-profile everyday carry pack loaded with features and attachment points; the Remora™ is a purposefully designed bag with CCW compatibility bag that doesn't scream, "Gun!" Pack your standard photo gear, some extra clothes or a general-purpose first aid kit. An additional front pocket and pouch are perfect for storing your wallet, phone, keys, binoculars, admin kit and/or hand-wipes. Carry it by its padded grab handle or concealable shoulder strap. The Remora is fantastic for mountain biking, running or everyday urban use."

From the listed dimensions, my Nook should fit -- and it does, if not much else is in the bag.  I can get it into the main compartment if I remove it from its protective cover/stand, but this is not so easily done with the cover still on and most of the gear in the compartment.

I would not want to carry something like this in my bag along with the items listed above plus keys, cell phone, a plain first aid kit, mints and whatever else I might need to add.

Regrettably, I no longer have a job to take this bag to, but my prospects are looking up so I am keeping it. I am not able to use the Remora in its primary role (this is California), but from sizing it to several 4"-5" full size duty 'items', everything looks to fit very well.

I have no problem having this looked at as a man-purse, as it is tactical enough to deflect those comments and small and light enough to be easy to carry all day. "Small" is one of the factors in my choice of this bag, since I tend to carry a lot of stuff if there is room in which to pack it --  and this does not allow me to stuff in much extra.

Recap
  • Small, compact, easy to carry 
  • Multi-use compartments, Molle attachments 
  • Not quite what I wanted, but exactly what I need to carry my gear without looking like Batman and his Utility Belt.
I give this 4.5 out of 5 stars and would recommend this to my friends.

No other items were purchased this week. You can still call me Ahab in my search for the elusive bargain tent.

As always, if you have comments, suggestions or corrections, please post them so we all can learn. And remember, Some Is Always Better Than None!

NOTE: All items tested were purchased by me. No products have been loaned in exchange for a favorable review. Any items sent to me for T&E will be listed as such. Suck it Feds.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Fine Print


This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution- Noncommercial- No Derivative Works 3.0 License.

Creative Commons License


Erin Palette is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.