Wednesday, May 25, 2016

Prudent Prepping: Battery Storage

The dust has settled and the First 72 Hours have passed. Now we concentrate on what to do in, and how to plan for, the long term via Prudent Prepping.

As I mentioned a little over a month ago, I ruined a flashlight by not checking it often enough and swapping out its batteries. My Esteemed Editor Erin (and others) recommended battery cases for storage and protection of both the cells and wherever the cells are stored.

After searching Amazon, I found these:

TheLovelyBird AA/AAA Battery Case/Holders


From their Amazon page:
  • Package included: 4 pcs of battery cases 
  • Convenient and intuitive to use,can combine in row 
  • Holds either 4 AA or 4 AAA rechargeable batteries 
  • Colors: Clear, Pink , Blue, Green 
  • Batteries are not included
    Here are two of the four cases I ordered, with batteries placed in them for scale. I like how the cases close, even if the seal isn't water tight.If you look close at the left side of pink case and the right side if the blue case, there are molded-in channels that are designed to interlock the cases.

    Here are the two cases locked together. I don't plan to keep cases like this, since the batteries will be placed into various bags and backpacks, but If I needed to store things in a drawer and also needed to see how many batteries I have left, this is how I'd do it!

    I wasn't sure what the cases actually looked like or how sturdy they might be, so my initial order was only four. After seeing them and loading batteries in them, I think there will be an order for at least four more very soon.

    Edited to add: I just showed my AAA battery case to a coworker who said I've loaded it wrong. The AA batteries go left to right but the AAA go up and down. He's right.

    The Takeaway

    The Good
    • Storage and inventory checks are made easier
    • Ability to keep multiple cases connected 
    The (possibly) Not So Good
    • The cases are not water or moisture proof.
      •  Storing in a water-tight baggie might be necessary. 
    • The molded hinge might wear out or break, if used repeatedly. 
    • The latch isn't very big. 
      • The possibility of banging or bumps opening the case may require a rubber band or similar to be a positive block to accidental opening
      The Recap

      Just a reminder: if you plan on buying anything through Amazon, please consider using our referral link. When you do, a portion of the sale comes back here to help keep this site running! 

      If you have comments, suggestions or corrections, please post them so we all can learn. And remember, Some Is Always Better Than None!

      NOTE: All items tested were purchased by me. No products have been loaned in exchange for a favorable review. Any items sent to me for T&E will be listed as such. Suck it Feds.

      No comments:

      Post a Comment

      The Fine Print


      This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution- Noncommercial- No Derivative Works 3.0 License.

      Creative Commons License


      Erin Palette is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.