Wednesday, May 4, 2016

Prudent Prepping: Buffet Post

The dust has settled and the First 72 Hours have passed. Now we concentrate on what to do in, and how to plan for, the long term via Prudent Prepping.

I have several topics to touch on this week, none that I can make into a complete post, so here is the collected information.

Shelter
Last week was the almost-test of the last item on my Large Item Want List, a tent. From here on, things are going to be physically smaller but still very important to my preps.

Safety
As I mentioned in a BCP Facebook page post (come join us!), I am now looking to make a real First Aid Kit. Several people responded with different suggestions on what to add next and why, and I'm still looking for even more information, from both experienced preppers and trained first aid folks. Give me as much info as you can.

Safe Water
It's the time of year when I start planning for hikes and camping trips. Part of those plans involve having a safe water supply by either filtering or heating.

Last year I wrote about the heat purification system and mentioned a way to purchase in bulk to reduce the cost of the Water Pasteurization Indicators. I won't repeat everything from previous posts (follow the link instead), but I will say this is an inexpensive and compact tool to make your water safe to drink. Last time I checked, prices were the same as last year.

If you are interested in this important addition to your water purification system, please leave a comment with how many you want to buy, either here on the blog or on the BCP Facebook page.

Safe Travel
I have very wide feet: EE or EEE depending on the brand of shoe. I've been looking for a good hiking boot longer than I've looked for a tent, since the glorified tennis shoes with a hiking sole that I wear to work flatten out in about 3-4 months and hurt my arches. (I also have high arches.) I even tried mail ordering a highly recommended brand that several ex-military folk said were outstanding (and expensive), but they still didn't work.

My parents were broke during most of my childhood from buying shoes that actually fit me. I've looked at most of the famous brands and off-brand/house labels, and just from my history with shoes I can tell in less than 10 minutes if something will work or not...usually not.

The only brand that actually fits and works for me are Redwings. I wore Redwings when I did new construction years ago and I was always able to find a boot that fit. Now with their expanded line of Vasque hiking boots and shoes, I think I can find something that fits well. Their closest store does not carry every style in my size/width, but will be able to order what I want when I have the money.

The Takeaway
  • Please send in your comments and suggestions for additions to my First Aid supplies. 
  • An additional way to treat water is a Good Thing and a WaPI should be on your list. 
  • Hiking requires being on my feet and able to carry the load comfortably, whether a day pack or 60 liter bag packed for a week trip.
The Recap
  • Nothing was purchased this week but plenty has been placed onto my Wish List. Again

Just a reminder: if you plan on buying anything through Amazon, please consider using our referral link. When you do, a portion of the sale comes back here to help keep this site running! 

If you have comments, suggestions or corrections, please post them so we all can learn. And remember, Some Is Always Better Than None!

NOTE: All items tested were purchased by me. No products have been loaned in exchange for a favorable review. Any items sent to me for T&E will be listed as such. Suck it Feds.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Fine Print


This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution- Noncommercial- No Derivative Works 3.0 License.

Creative Commons License


Erin Palette is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.