Wednesday, September 28, 2016

Prudent Prepping: Monthly Round-up


The dust has settled and the First 72 Hours have passed. Follow along as I build a long term plan via Prudent Prepping.

This is my latest installment to the blog where the topics can't be made into a stand-alone entry.

First Things
Last weeks post was about building a compact, easy to carry EDC Trauma kit, first built by Jonathan Sullivan and mentioned in his post here. I ordered the parts from Amazon* that I did not already have: The phone case, tourniquet and Quik Clot bandage. I have a local source for face shields (free from an EMT friend) so those were not an issue. Unfortunately, The RATS tourniquet shown is no longer available from that particular seller and I can't find the exact item from anyone else on Amazon. What sold me was the included sleeve to hold the tourniquet in as compact a fashion as possible, since everything is being carried in a belt pouch designed for an iPhone. Buying a separate tourniquet and pouch is the solution to this problem, but at a higher price than finding a ready made set. Since I have a budget for my preps, I'm still looking for a cost-effective answer.
Next
With the mention I received from Jonathan in his re-post of the Blue Collar Prepping post, several of my friends that are not readers of BCP now realize I have been writing on a prepping blog for close to three years now (!!!). This was not something I was hiding or intentionally not passing on to my Facebook friends list, it just happened. It has turned out to be a Good Thing with several people asking questions that I didn't expect and several friends telling me they are interested in learning more. I have to say I did get a joking reference to me being one of those "Nut jobs I see on TV" and another asking what to do about zombies, but even those were followed by actual interest in being prepared for a disaster. Go figure.
More Next
Even as Fall is now officially here, you can't prove it with the weather in (most of) California. The fire season is not over, with another wildfire burning more parts of N. California. Fires cause more damage and cost residents more money every year than earthquakes, but the destruction is usually in sparsely populated, rural areas that aren't photogenic. Since these fires do not affect large numbers of people or large population centers, I was surprised to see A CalFire ad talking about emergency preparedness. The items listed are everything you and I as regular BCP readers should have assembled right now.

From the CalFire webpage:

EMERGENCY SUPPLY KIT CHECKLIST
  • Three-day supply of non-perishable food and three gallons of water per person. 
  • Map marked with at least two evacuation routes 
  • Prescriptions or special medications 
  • Change of clothing 
  • Extra eyeglasses or contact lenses 
  • An extra set of car keys, credit cards, cash or traveler’s checks 
  • First aid kit 
  • Flashlight 
  • Battery-powered radio and extra batteries 
  • Sanitation supplies 
  • Copies of important documents (birth certificates, passports, etc.) 
  • Don’t forget pet food and water! 

Items to take if time allows:
  • Easily carried valuables 
  • Family photos and other irreplaceable items 
  • Personal computer information on hard drives and disks 
  • Chargers for cell phones, laptops, etc.
Always keep a sturdy pair of shoes and a flashlight near your bed and handy in case of a sudden evacuation at night.

There are links to how to keep your rural home safe from a fire by making a defensible space, preparing your family for a potential evacuation and further down the page links for planning with toddlers, those with special needs and also a link to a Red Cross article on prepping for Seniors.

I am forwarding the CalFire web page to the people who asked me questions and by posting this, I hope others who did not ask can gain some valuable information.

Nothing was purchased, some new prepping friends were made and good information was shared.

It was a good week.

*I do shop through the BCP Amazon link.

Just a reminder: if you plan on buying anything through Amazon, please consider using our referral link. When you do, a portion of the sale comes back here to help keep this site running! 

If you have comments, suggestions or corrections, please post them so we all can learn. And remember, Some Is Always Better Than None!

NOTE: All items tested were purchased by me. No products have been loaned in exchange for a favorable review. Any items sent to me for T&E will be listed as such. Suck it Feds.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Fine Print


This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution- Noncommercial- No Derivative Works 3.0 License.

Creative Commons License


Erin Palette is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.