Wednesday, June 28, 2017

Prudent Prepping: In With the New

The dust has settled and the First 72 Hours have passed. Follow along as I build a long term plan via Prudent Prepping.


As I mentioned in last week's post, the pre-cooked rice from Trader Joe's that was a favorite of mine is now discontinued. I was seriously disappointed when time came to replace it and none was on the shelf. After the post was up, two of our Loyal Readers (thanks, Randy and Russell!)  mentioned is this, found at Walmart:


Uncle Ben's Ready Rice Whole Grain Brown
https://www.unclebens.com/products/whole-grain-brown
From the Uncle Ben's website:
  • Excellent Source of Folic Acid
  • Good source of iron
  • 0 g Trans Fats & No Saturated Fat
I like the fact the rice can be microwaved in the pouch or taken out and added to other things. As an added benefit, there are other rice and flavor choices available.

I've been out of rice for a week and just got back from the store with 5 bags. One is going into my GHB right now. If some of the other flavors contained a bit less sodium, I will buy extras to rotate into my bag. If I ever need to use my Get Home Bag as intended, I want to be drinking my water because I'm thirsty and not from all the added salt in my food.

Another addition to my GHB, and especially to my lunch box, is a neat little item from Sam's Club.

Pacific Roasted Red Pepper & Tomato Soup
8oz Soup Boxes!
From the Sam's Club page:
Grown in the sun and harvested at peak flavor, Pacific's favorite red peppers are slow roasted to bring out their natural sweetness. Vine-ripened tomatoes, organic milk, and a warm blend of spices round out the flavor for a soup that tastes like summer but can be enjoyed any time of the year.
I didn't buy this for the trendy organic contents; I bought it because I like tomato soup and the fact it is a perfect addition to my lunch box. At 8 oz., I can microwave this in my coffee cup instead of needing to pack a microwave safe bowl when I bring something else like a sandwich or leftovers.

The box has a spout very much like a quart juice carton or water bottle, with the safety seal breaking when you unscrew the top. Since it is a rectangular shape, the box stacks nicely in the corner of my lunchbox and on my pantry shelves. The flavor is very good, with a better taste than the 'just tomato soup' brands. I may buy an additional case soon and throw a couple into each of my Buckets of Holding.

The Takeaway
  • There is always someone around who knows more than I do. Asking for help and information is not weakness, but knowing what you don't know.

The Recap

If you plan on buying anything through Amazon, please consider using our referral link. When you do, a portion of the sale comes back here to help keep this site running!
If you have comments, suggestions or corrections, please post them so we all can learn. And remember, Some Is Always Better Than None!

NOTE: All items tested were purchased by me. No products have been loaned in exchange for a favorable review. Any items sent to me for T&E will be listed as such. Suck it Feds.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Fine Print


This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution- Noncommercial- No Derivative Works 3.0 License.

Creative Commons License


Erin Palette is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.