Wednesday, June 20, 2018

Prudent Prepping: Seasonal Changes

The dust has settled and the First 72 Hours have passed. Follow along as I build a long term plan via Prudent Prepping. 

It's finally warming up here and Summer is officially close, so I started swapping out the last of my cooler weather gear. What could possibly go wrong?

Road Trip
I spent last weekend in Reno for a graduation celebration. It was wonderful! I met some people that are now relatives by marriage, spent time with my son, and was caught a little short in my preps due to the weather. It wasn't really a bad error; I was just a little uncomfortable when the temperature dropped into the low 40's and high 30's at night. I had checked the forecast for the weekend and things seemed to be fairly mild, considering I was coming from ~50 ft altitude to ~4,500 ft in Reno.

What caused the problem? A not-so-unusual summer storm rolled in, and coupled with some strong winds and a little rain it made the evenings not fun. I had packed my normal GHB, a change of clothes for the event, and a windbreaker, but a light jacket or sweater and rain gear would have been useful. In my defense I tend to be a pack rat, so I was trying to keep the amount of gear I carried to a minimum.

What I did have in my gear was something that didn't see any use due to the unseasonably cool weather:

Mission Blue Microfiber Small Cooling Towel
https://tinyurl.com/ydyyuplo


There are neck wraps I have purchased in the past that were some sort of water-absorbing crystals inside a tube that kept you cool, but those were only sized and shaped to fit your neck. These are large enough to soak in water and wrap around your head AND neck!



From the Home Depot website:
Keep cool and feel refreshed in any condition with the original, durable Mission HydroActive Microfiber Cooling Towel. Ideal for any outdoor activity on a hot day so that you can stay cool when things heat up. Just wet, wring and snap the chemical-free towel, and the proprietary technology in our woven fabric cools to 30° below your average body temperature. The towel stays cool for hours when wet and is soft and absorbent when dry. From the toughest conditions to everyday use; the performance enhancing cooling towel helps you keep cool during training, working or exercising. The soft machine washable fabric provides you with years of reliable use. The Mission HydroActive Microfiber Cooling Towel is a simple solution to keep you cool and feeling comfortable in the heat, and on the go.
  • Proprietary technology cools to 30° below average body temperature when wet
  • Permanent cooling technology is re-usable, machine washable and dries soft
  • UPF 50 protection from the sun
  • Chemical-free
  • Stays cool for hours
Despite these not getting a workout in Reno, I will be using them on an up-coming fishing trip to one of several local reservoirs.

The Recap


If you have comments, suggestions or corrections, please post them so we all can learn. And remember, Some Is Always Better Than None!

NOTE: All items tested were purchased by me. No products have been loaned in exchange for a favorable review. Any items sent to me for T&E will be listed as such. Suck it Feds.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Fine Print


This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution- Noncommercial- No Derivative Works 3.0 License.

Creative Commons License


Erin Palette is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.