Wednesday, September 11, 2019

Prudent Prepping: Always Something There To Remind Me

The dust has settled and the First 72 Hours have passed. Follow along as I build a long term plan via Prudent Prepping. 

The anniversary of the last big earthquake in my area slipped by me recently, lost in the hubbub of local activities and then real serious weather in the southeast. It was brought to mind this past weekend when I went through Napa taking an out-of-town friend shopping on a pleasant afternoon.

Really.

Okay, we hit a couple wineries.

I don't get up there too often as my work doesn't take me there any more, so it's usually a day trip showing friends the sights. I was pleasantly surprised to see that the last major building damaged in 2014(!) is back in shape and open to the public. It took until 2017 for the last contract to be signed for retro-fitting another building to current earthquake standards; I think that building had major internal damage and even though it looked good from the street, it was really bad inside. 

I was also reminded that there were some houses destroyed by fire because gas lines and a water main were damaged in the earthquake. I don't want to have that problem here, so I'm going shopping.

Want List
  • Gas meter wrench, to be tied to the meter of this unit, even though this is a four-plex. I don't see any reason not to have one available to whomever needs to turn off the gas. This wrench is the cheapest one I can find, even though I had a better one at the old house. I don't want to have something hung up in public view just to be stolen as a prank. 
  • More water jugs, because there are now four people that I have to look out for here, plus my folks. Those water jugs are also stocked at Walmart, and if those of you in Free States can hold your noses while shopping there after the latest news, you may find them as a seasonal close-out.
  • Another bucket of emergency food, because moving totes in an emergency can be hard. I really like Mountain House for their variety.

This is going to be posted on September 11, and I want to have everyone think back on how friends looked after friends, strangers helped folks get across the country, no matter who they were, where they came from or who they liked. I'm trying to be prepared to give the same type of help to my friends and neighbors if there is a local disaster. 
                                                    
                                                                    ***

Just a reminder: if you plan on buying anything through Amazon, please consider using our referral link. When you do, a portion of the sale comes back here to help keep this site running!

If you have comments, suggestions or corrections, please post them so we all can learn. And remember, Some Is Always Better Than None!

NOTE: All items tested were purchased by me. No products have been loaned in exchange for a favorable review. Any items sent to me for T&E will be listed as such. Suck it Feds.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Fine Print


This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution- Noncommercial- No Derivative Works 3.0 License.

Creative Commons License


Erin Palette is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.