Wednesday, September 18, 2019

Prudent Prepping: First Aid Kit Update

The dust has settled and the First 72 Hours have passed. Follow along as I build a long term plan via Prudent Prepping.

In a post on the Blue Collar Prepping Facebook page, Garry Hamilton (along with others) mentioned what many of first aid kits lack these days, starting with tweezers, a blade or knife, and scissors or some other way to cut clothing. I added one of the mentioned items to my work kit several months ago, but never wrote it up.

https://amzn.to/2LBSdrm











SZCO Supplies Magnifying Tweezers
I'm in a Big Box store of one type or another every day. I don't touch lumber for work, but there is always wood someplace close. Besides being around wood, I do handle sheet metal, nuts, bolts and screws, which sometimes have shavings in the boxes. I found these tweezers earlier this year and added then to my bigger kit. I moved them into my work kit soon afterwards when, as I mentioned in the first post, I got tired of digging out splinters with my knife.

From the Amazon page:
  • A powerful 3X magnifying glass and needle-tipped tweezers combine to make this one of the handiest items in the tool box or first aid kit
  • This product is easy to use easy to install and highly durable
  • Item is manufactured in Pakistan
  • 3.5 Inches in length
  • Magnifying glass
  • Stainless steel composition
I have used these and can recommend them to any and all readers.

I don't have scissors or a blade in my work first aid kit, but I do have both in my GHB. For work I always have at least one utility knife in my work gear, plus the Kershaw Leeks I always have in my pockets. I think what I have for work is sufficient.

Several posts mentioned more complex kits, up to including suturing supplies. My friend the Master Chief has a full-on Medic kit ("Don't ask where it came from") with everything he had available when he served, minus the actual drugs. I suspect he might be able to 'acquire' those also if he really wanted some. For me, I don't have the training to use something like that, but I appreciate those who do.

Earthquake Supplies Update
Surprise Gift!
After listing the things I was looking to buy to make myself feel safer in my new place, I received an Amazon package. This is what I found:

The Ready America 3333 Earthquake Survival Tool, Emergency Gas Shut Off Wrench.

This is the gas meter shut-off tool I mentioned last week. There was a note from our esteemed Editrix Erin wishing me a happy housewarming. I have a thoroughly undeserved reputation (in my opinion) as a grumpy old man who doesn't want or like gifts.

I very nicely said Thank You.

(Editrix's Note: He thoroughly deserves it.)





I don't know if that made an impression, so let me try this:

via GIPHY

Takeaway and Recap
  • Nothing was purchased this week but I did receive a Ready America 3333 Gas Shutoff Tool as a gift, available from Amazon for $3.98 with Prime
  • I do have the best friends possible.

                                                                   ***

Just a reminder: if you plan on buying anything through Amazon, please consider using our referral link. When you do, a portion of the sale comes back here to help keep this site running!

If you have comments, suggestions or corrections, please post them so we all can learn. And remember, Some Is Always Better Than None!

NOTE: All items tested were purchased by me. No products have been loaned in exchange for a favorable review. Any items sent to me for T&E will be listed as such. Suck it Feds.

1 comment:

  1. Very informative, David. I’ve really appreciated your articles.

    ReplyDelete

The Fine Print


This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution- Noncommercial- No Derivative Works 3.0 License.

Creative Commons License


Erin Palette is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.