Wednesday, November 27, 2019

Prudent Prepping: November Buffet Post

The dust has settled and the First 72 Hours have passed. Follow along as I build a long term plan via Prudent Prepping.

This is my usual round up of ideas that I don't think would make a stand alone post.

Check Up, part 2
As I mentioned in this blog post earlier this month, I'm getting everything in and on my body checked out by doctors. One of the last things to be looked over were my teeth; I've been saving my money for this work, because while the dental coverage is better than what many of my friends have, it isn't good enough to cover all the work I need done to save my teeth.

Many reports say not chewing food well can affect your health, and having teeth seems to be the first and most important step as far as I'm concerned.

Shopping Find
While calling on one of my local stores, I found this, the Everbilt 26 qt. High-Performance Cooler with Lockable Lid:




















A Home Depot store-brand, heavy duty cooler!

From the Home Depot webpage:
  • Keeps Ice for up to 5 days, great for outdoor activities
  • Durable T-handle latches keeps lid secure
  • Virtually unbreakable rotomolded 1-piece construction
And the best part: this cooler is $78.97! At 26 qts it's a little bit bigger than, but suspiciously similar to, a popular brand that has fallen out of favor with many outdoors folk. This store-brand price is 60% of that famous labels' 20 qt. cooler while having 30% more volume.

This shows as being "In Stock" in my local stores, but that could vary from region to region. I have a standard Igloo cooler that I take with me when I go camping and fishing, and having something that would keep my food cold longer is a bonus. I don't have a problem with the size, since I don't go out with more than one person and when there's a group, everyone has their own ice chests.

Check it out!

Personal Safety
In a Blue Collar Prepping Facebook posting this week, the question was asked, "What should I do in a riot?"

Several of us have posted about what to do in a riot/civil unrest, with a post of mine from August 2017 talking about what to do if in a crowd. I think the most important factor is not to be in a riot in the first place. That can be pretty hard to avoid if something happens spontaneously, but the most recent demonstrations that turned violent were advertised days and sometimes weeks in advance.

Read the whole thing, but the high points are:
  • Start walking and don't stop. 
  • Don't run. That will draw attention to you, both from the cops and those around you. 
  • Look for the edge of the crowd and make your way there.
  • Get to the edge of the crowd, but don't try to walk against the flow - that could get you knocked down. Travel at a diagonal to the direction the crowd is going until you get out of the main body, hopefully well away from the agitators and potential violence. 

Recap And Takeaway
  • Nothing was purchased this week, and I don't see Santa bringing too many prepping items to me this year.
  • My health is going to be my Christmas gift to myself.
  • The Home Depot Everbilt 26 qt. Cooler seems like a great buy at $78.97. Check to see if it is available in your area. If not, most items can be Special Ordered and with a qualifying purchase, shipping is free!
***

Just a reminder: if you plan on buying anything through Amazon, please consider using our referral link. When you do, a portion of the sale comes back here to help keep this site running!

If you have comments, suggestions or corrections, please post them so we all can learn. And remember, Some Is Always Better Than None!

NOTE: All items tested were purchased by me. No products have been loaned in exchange for a favorable review. Any items sent to me for T&E will be listed as such. Suck it Feds.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Fine Print


This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution- Noncommercial- No Derivative Works 3.0 License.

Creative Commons License


Erin Palette is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.